Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tiny Baetis

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Jim Speaker 
#1 ·
My near vision has been diminishing a little, says my optometrist, but apparently it's not too bad yet.

#20 parachute bwo emerger. #18 cdc loopback emerger.

See less See more
#12 ·
I'm not sure, it was several years ago when that picture was taken. They were probably 22s and I tied them for the picture, so they were tied in smaller sizes than I normally would for fishing. I have rarely found it necessary to go below size 20 though I have used 22s on occasion in late winter and spring on the Yakima and in the fall for sea-run cutthroat in the rivers.

#13 ·
Jim, those are really nice. I use something similar to the parachute as my go-to pattern at Rocky Ford during winter, but I would be terrified to zoom in on those like you have and see the detail! I will use TMC 2487's in 18, 20 and 22, and sometimes the 22 is the only thing that works.

#14 ·
Thanks Dave. Yeah, the ones I tie on 2487 are for really selective emerger dialed fish that won't take the parachute emerger. I can barely see the fly in the film with just the little puff keeping it afloat.

Here are a few more. When I fish adults, typically only on rougher water, I go with an upright (#20 pictured). The soft hackle I tie uses olive biot body, olive dub, and partridge (#18 pictured). I also sometimes fish the ribbed softhackle you see there, just micro wire over thread and a green seed bead head, same dubbing ball thorax and partridge. The shucks on the two emergers are cream antron with a touch of lacquer before I clip it to length so the fibers stay together instead of splaying out.

#15 ·
I have tied more patterns for BWO over the years than any other specific trout food. I have a crowded BWO box with lots of failed experiments and a few that seem to work. In my experience, trout on the Yakima in October/November have the pickiest taste in BWO patterns than anywhere else I've fished them. Sometimes, I need to go to Idaho or Montana in the fall to restore my faith (and ego) in BWO fishing.

Like Jim, I like a CDC emerger, tied either with a loop-wing or down-wing. For the dun, I favor a hair-wing style fly that rides low in the water. The one shown here has a scruffy body; more often I tend to use one with a more slender biot or floss body.

Dick

CDC BWO emerger (I add a few barbs of white CDC to the top to increase visibility for my old eyes)
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Wing Feather

Olive deer-hair emerger
Insect Plant Sky Natural material Artificial fly

#16 ·
I have tied more patterns for BWO over the years than any other specific trout food. I have a crowded BWO box with lots of failed experiments and a few that seem to work. In my experience, trout on the Yakima in October/November have the pickiest taste in BWO patterns than anywhere else I've fished them. Sometimes, I need to go to Idaho or Montana in the fall to restore my faith (and ego) in BWO fishing.

Like Jim, I like a CDC emerger, tied either with a loop-wing or down-wing. For the dun, I favor a hair-wing style fly that rides low in the water. The one shown here has a scruffy body; more often I tend to use one with a more slender biot or floss body.

Dick
Those are really nice. Indeed, my loopwing emergers were a response to frustration when fishing the Yakima Canyon in the Fall.

One day my boys and I were on the flats at Wymer. We watched a trio of guys all cast to a small pod of nice fish along the treed bank on river right. No rises. I knew they must be throwing patterns not subtle enough, and when they were wading back to their boat I went up there with my 2 weight, 6x and a loopback emerger. Starting from the bottom of the pod of 3 fish, picked each of them off in order. You could see the guys looking back like "what the hell???" :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.