Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hunting tent suggestions..

11K views 60 replies 12 participants last post by  Trapper 
#1 ·
So last year camping on the OP was miserable both times. Apparently they don't call it the rain forest for nothing. I'm looking to buy one of the industrial stove style tents. Anyone have any suggestions? A quick search came up with these. http://www.montanacanvas.com/products/10oz-wall-tent

Cabela's also has some sweet looking ones but I'm afraid they will fall apart and leak like a sieve.

G
#3 ·
I spend 8 - 12 weeks each year in a wall tent in all kinds of weather from dry, to pouring down rain, to blizzard conditions. I have a wall tent with a wood stove. If you take care of them and especially if you use a rain fly, they don't leak. I've been in mine in minus 25 F conditions and kept the inside temps in the 60s.

Much of it will depend on how many guys you'll put in it at one time. Once you set up a kitchen, sleeping cots, and hunting gear, it can get pretty crowded very fast. I know lots of guys who buy a wall tent and stove etc as a group.

An internal frame is really nice, but you can build a frame out of lodge pole pretty easily. In the camps I cook in, they cut frames for the tents and leave them at the campsite.

I don't sell wall tents, but I've been using them for hunting and fishing since the 1950s. Feel free to ask any questions. I have all sorts of photos too.

Trapper

#6 ·
I spend 8 - 12 weeks each year in a wall tent in all kinds of weather from dry, to pouring down rain, to blizzard conditions. I have a wall tent with a wood stove. If you take care of them and especially if you use a rain fly, they don't leak. I've been in mine in minus 25 F conditions and kept the inside temps in the 60s.

Much of it will depend on how many guys you'll put in it at one time. Once you set up a kitchen, sleeping cots, and hunting gear, it can get pretty crowded very fast. I know lots of guys who buy a wall tent and stove etc as a group.

An internal frame is really nice, but you can build a frame out of lodge pole pretty easily. In the camps I cook in, they cut frames for the tents and leave them at the campsite.

I don't sell wall tents, but I've been using them for hunting and fishing since the 1950s. Feel free to ask any questions. I have all sorts of photos too.

Trapper
Thanks Trapper... I think Im just going to go with a local shop that sells and makes them. Then make a frame for it.It will end up being for myself and maybe one other.

#7 ·
If you do buy a Montana tent, you hit a good time. They make a super sale price on them at the Portland Sportsman Show.

#11 ·
Usually when I'm at the shows, I'm there with Camp Chef and stay with their booth. At the Portland show the Montana booth is right across from our booth. I've wanted another wall tent (grew up using them) for my longer camps. When i was there two years ago i believe the 12x16 was $600 and tossed in a few extras. But was at the show only. I do know the tent they had was a $900 tent on their website with all the extras included. Again that was at least 2 years ago.

#13 ·
Trapper
I spent a rainy summer in north Idaho living in two wall tents with four other guys. One tent was the sleeping tent, the other was the kitchen, dinning room and work tent. We covered the tents with black plastic. Worked great. Even covered the walkway between the two tents.

I would rather spend a rainy summer in those two tents than my tent trailer.

G
#17 ·
I spent a rainy summer in north Idaho living in two wall tents with four other guys. One tent was the sleeping tent, the other was the kitchen, dinning room and work tent. We covered the tents with black plastic. Worked great. Even covered the walkway between the two tents.

I would rather spend a rainy summer in those two tents than my tent trailer.
That's an ideal set up for five guys - 2 tents with a covered area in between. I like a wall tent better than a tent trailer because I can set up my wood stove for heat and my stoves for the kitchen. Plus you can stand up in it and hang clothes to dry in it.

Trapper

#14 ·
For an inexpensive interior frame use 1" and 1 1/4" emt conduit. We have done this for years. A center ridge section and two sidewall sections. Our pcs are no longer than the width of a pickup bodies width. The 1" always extends into the 1 1/4" by at least 2 feet(on the horizontal center ridge). The stops for the splices are sheetmetal screws. We use a hand conduit bender to form the 90 degree corners and always keep those formed onto an upright. Then we color code with spray paint. This system drawback is at upright at the door, but it packs much better than the expensive interior frames.

That was the short of it.

#15 ·
Yea I used to be a commercial electrician. I know all about emt and bending with it. I did the rear portion of my raft frame with it. I also used to do auto upholstery so making the canvas tent canopy wouldn't be an issue. But as I am getting older I am finding out that time time is money. Certain things I don't mind making but something like this I will just buy the real deal one time and one time only. Ill buy the angle pieces and canvas and sbuy 10' sections of emt and cut them to size

G
#16 ·
I bought the angle kit and then cut the EMT.

This is a 12'x14' set up. Many people will only put a center rafter in for that length, but I set this up where it snows a lot and that extra rafter keeps the tent from sagging under the snow load.

When you set up or tear down the tent, the easiest way to do it is to set up the frame minus the legs on one wall like in the photo. It makes it MUCH easier to then just pull the one side of the tent over the top because it's so much lower. Then set those last legs for the wall. If you save tuna fish cans, you can put them under the legs so they don't eat holes in your sod cloth.

A piece of plastic over the top does work for a rain fly, but I found that if you use a clear or light colored plastic, it lets more light into the tent rather than black or even the blue tarps.

Trapper

G
#18 ·
This must be the season for researching and buying wall tents.

On another forum I answered a few questions about cooking in a wall tent. I thought some folks here might find it interesting if they haven't done it.

Q: What exactly do you mean by "wall tent"?
A: A wall tent is a tent normally made of treated canvas. They come in various sizes. Some have windows. But they all basically look like this:

Q: Do you have one tent that stands alone as the kitchen?
A: For the commercial outfitters I work for, yes. We have a separate tent just for the kitchen and mess (eating area).

Q: My stove came with a warning to not use it indoors. Isn't it health hazard to cook with propane inside a wall tent?
A: First, wall tents are not anywhere near air tight like your home. But, be smart about it. Get a longer hose and put the tank outside the tent. After you hook the stove to the tank, take a spray bottle with some water and soap in it and spray for leaks around all connections including around the valves on the stove.

Second, I've cooked this way for a very long time with no accidents, but I know one lady who got a medevac helicopter ride out of a wilderness from a propane accident. So be careful and do your homework about propane.

Q: Doesn't canvas leak?
A: Canvas tents will indeed leak if not cared for. We spray the canvas with a water repellent, especially the seams. We also put a rain fly over the tent to create an extra layer of protection.

Q: Doesn't it get very cold during the fall or winter?
A: While there is virtually zero insulation in a tent, we are able to burn wood in a wood stove (shown in photo with two buckets on it). It keeps it surprisingly warm.

I've been in a wall tent when it was -25 F outside and it was +65 F inside.

Q: What do you use for a frame?
A: Three different methods.
One. Cut and build two "A's" for each gable end. Cut a long ridge and run it through the inside ridge of the tent and into the notch of the A's. Run another long pole on each side for the hip. You'll tie the top of the walls to this pole.

Two. Cut, trim, and build an internal frame out of existing wood. This is normally only done for camps that get used over and over every year and the frame is then laid down after camp is broken down and the canvas is packed out.

Three. Build your own internal frame from EMT (used for electrical conduit). You can buy the angle kits and then just cut the EMT to fit your tent. This photo shows one for a 12'x14' wall tent. I added an extra rafter because it's often used in areas where we get a lot of heavy wet snow and it handles the load better than just one rafter in the middle. Also, this photo shows the easiest way to set up and tear down the tent and frame. You put the frame together but without the legs for the wall on one side. The frame will be much lower so you can pull the canvas tent over the top from the low side.
(Hint: After you set up the frame the first time. Get a couple cans of spray paint and paint the connections so that they are colored coated for easier assembly)

Trapper

#21 ·
Nice picture......but as a professional Forester.

That tree next to the fire ring can significantly shorten your life.

Looks like there are several others that make your wall tent a target rich environment.

I am just paranoid....I camp with other Foresters and once during a wind storm I was sleeping soundly.....so they left the tent trailer underneath the cottonwoods and crawled into the boat. They didn't want to wake me!!!

G
#22 ·
That tree next to the fire ring can significantly shorten your life.

Looks like there are several others that make your wall tent a target rich environment.
You are absolutely right! I have refused to return to this camp until all those "widow makers" are turned into firewood. When the wind started howling I kept thinking "is today the day?"

Good job of pointing those things out, Vladimir.

Trapper

#29 ·
Went and checked out the tents at the show for a future buy. At one of them the guy was a complete asshole. I didnt even talk about the cost or anything and he treated me like I didnt have money. The second was seemed way overpriced. Didnt talk to him because he was busy talking with a customer for like 20 min. I have a feeling this guy will lower his price though quite a bit buy Sunday. I was impressed with both tents though.

What do you guys prefer. Stove jack out the side or top? Side to me seems like it might be better.

G
#30 ·
What do you guys prefer. Stove jack out the side or top? Side to me seems like it might be better.
I've done it both ways and now prefer the top for these reasons.
-- there will always be some tiny embers coming out the chimney. The greater distance from the top of the chimney to the ground gives them more time to go out.
-- I stack extra firewood behind my stove to dry it and also to provide a platform for drying boots, socks, gloves, etc. A side jack eliminates that space in the wall tent.

Trapper

#33 ·
Here she is. 14x16. $800 for the tent and another $130 for the EMT. Put it up by myself in about 30 min. Have some minor tweaking to do.I was in a hurry due to running out of light. Still need to get a stove which I wish I got at the show also. Throughout the week I will be mocking the inside up with a kitchen and sleeping area to prep for the OP in a few weeks. May even cook a dinner in it with a stove to test her out. Can't wait!!

Attachments

#36 ·
Here she is. 14x16. $800 for the tent and another $130 for the EMT. Put it up by myself in about 30 min. Have some minor tweaking to do.I was in a hurry due to running out of light. Still need to get a stove which I wish I got at the show also. Throughout the week I will be mocking the inside up with a kitchen and sleeping area to prep for the OP in a few weeks. May even cook a dinner in it with a stove to test her out. Can't wait!!
How much more would a door option have been?;)
Seriously, nice looking tent at a good price. What brand, model and options did you end up going with?
I've been kicking the idea around myself and appreciate your questions and the answers.

G
#34 ·
Great looking tent!

Two things you may want to do.

1. With the tent off but the frame still standing, color code the EMT connections to the angles. It'll make setting it up much easier next time.

2. With the tent up, spray it with a water sealer.

Trapper

#35 ·
Great looking tent!

Two things you may want to do.

1. With the tent off but the frame still standing, color code the EMT connections to the angles. It'll make setting it up much easier next time.

2. With the tent up, spray it with a water sealer.

Trapper
Thanks Trapper. Yesterday before I put it up I took three different colors of electrical tape I.D. the conduit. Then marked the diagram sheet with the colors. I am looking into something now that im gonna spray it with

#39 ·
Well, Davis may sell you a patch for cheap, or at least have repair advice.

If not I'd visit http://www.seattlefabrics.com/ just North of Greenlake on 99. They sell Nikwax waterproofing agent (I'm assuming they'll have something for you, though I'd PM Trapper B. and follow his advice on waterproofing before I spent my money)

but they'll also have duck material (Davis uses a 10oz. I believe) or Cordura for you to repair with. I'd search out a remnant piece, which they nearly always have, so I didn't have to buy a 1/4 yard at a shot.

That an Awl, and a spool of appropriate thread, and you'll be able to repair that yourself. There' will be directions on the awl package as to what/how you should stitch.

G
#40 ·
A 4" hole from an ember. Wow, that's unusual. How far above your tent is the top of the chimney? It should be at least 6 feet. What are you using to start your stove? Can you post a few photos of the stove and chimney inside the tent and then the chimney outside the tent?

If you get some extra canvas, there are a number of glues out there that work well with canvas. Just patch it like you would your waders.

Trapper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.