Chironomid Floss Pupa
Daryle Holmstrom

Chironomid Floss Pupa

Tied by Jeff (SUPERFLY) Hale
Like the patern nice and simple because I love furled flies. Have you had a chance to try it out to see how well it works?

Yep. Tested it out this April and caught some nice fish with and without indicators. Sinks slow and the floss body gets snaky when wet and moves easily. However, I like to think of them as disposable flies, because they are easily smashed to hell by trout. After the day, I pitch them into the trash because they get pretty beat up. Try em out. Jeff

Chironomid Floss pupa

Hook: Daiichi #1150 wide gape, bronze, in size #18
Head: Silver glass bead
Body/abdomen: Red, 4-strand floss twisted and furled.
Thorax: Peacock herl
Gills: White Antron

Okay, here's the extended body. It's actually really simple. Take 2 pieces of 4 strand red floss, about 4 inches in length, twist it tightly between your fingers, once a lot of tension is built up from the twisting, push the ends together, and the floss will "double back" on itself in the middle and create the "furled" portion of the body. Now you just grab it with a "pinch" to keep it furled, place it on your hook, tie it in, and cut off the excess. Once you do it, you'll see how easy it is. Try it. Thanks for the info on your extended damsel body. Jeff

Media information

Category
2006 Stillwater Invent Swap
Added by
Daryle Holmstrom
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media