Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

1/1 today

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  freestoneangler 
#1 ·
On broken rods that is....

I've been slow at work, so cut out early today to head to Whidbey. Last year I picked up a couple of Coho on 8/18 so what the heck, might as well try? For the last few weeks, I've been learning to tie clousers. I've got a few picked out that look better than the rest. Hook is in the right place, flash doesn't look like garbage, etc. I make one cast to let out a little bit of line, ok.... floppy cast...

2nd cast, the rod completely shatters where the second piece comes into the first.

This is a sage 8 weight...

So, I'm out 5 total hours between ferry and general depression (I started driving at 2, got home at 7).

All, that said, since this rod was my father-in-law's loaner 8-weight---- what would you recommend when I go to the flyshop this week and pick up my own? I'll need to replace it.

On the bright side, I talked to the only two other people fishing and there was one guy that limited off the beach. He caught one in the morning and one later just after the tide change (3 p.m. or so).

Anyway, I'm currently experiencing a Britney-shaved-head level meltdown.

The good news is that the fish are starting to come in. So we can start hating on each other a little less?

<3.

If anyone has 8 weight rod recommendations, I'm all ears.

- dibling

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the ferrule was already cracked- doesn't sound like your fault

I'd recommend you get an Xi3 now that they are on clearance, if you are already a good caster, or a motive of you want a slower, more forgiving rod

If you can spring for the new salt, those are awesome rods too

#4 ·
Yeah first I'd go get that Sage replaced/repaired (free Lifetime warranty). Then if you want your own rod still, I'd recommend something from Sage or Redington depending on budget for the simple fact that they're based on Bainbridge and you can have warranty work done fast and free. Stilly mentioned 3 great Sage options depending on you casting style and budget. I haven't cast either but for Redington I'd look in to the Vapen and Predator. Go to a shop and cast a few. Post your thoughts up afterwards too!

#13 ·
My Redington warranty was $30, not free. Rod broke a few inches above the ferrule on the very first back cast when lawn casting to see how it felt. My assumption is someone had taken it out at a shop my parents bought it from and dinged it, or maybe just a manufacturing fluke? Blew my mind, glad I test cast it before committing to bring it on the backpack trip I was leaving for that day!

#5 ·
I had the floppy rod cast earlier this year. Two floppy casts and then the upper section broke just ahead of the ferrule. Mine was caused by a truck tonneau lid being flipped down on the rod. My rod had a replacement warranty.

If your f-i-l's rod has a warranty I'd send it back for a fix. You might look on this forum for a used rod in the weight range you want. One bit of advise is to carry a back up rod with you. The last three rods I've broken have been on multi-day trips and other than being rods I really wanted to use, weren't much of an inconvenience. All had warranties.

I see two rods of appropriate size on the first page of the classifieds.

#6 ·
One bit of advise is to carry a back up rod with you. The last three rods I've broken have been on multi-day trips and other than being rods I really wanted to use, weren't much of an inconvenience. All had warranties.
Sound advise. I've even thought on day trips it could mean the difference between a good day on the water and a sad drive home. ha Especially when you have to travel very far for the fishing.

#9 ·
On broken rods that is....

I've been slow at work, so cut out early today to head to Whidbey. Last year I picked up a couple of Coho on 8/18 so what the heck, might as well try? For the last few weeks, I've been learning to tie clousers. I've got a few picked out that look better than the rest. Hook is in the right place, flash doesn't look like garbage, etc. I make one cast to let out a little bit of line, ok.... floppy cast...

2nd cast, the rod completely shatters where the second piece comes into the first.

This is a sage 8 weight...

So, I'm out 5 total hours between ferry and general depression (I started driving at 2, got home at 7).

All, that said, since this rod was my father-in-law's loaner 8-weight---- what would you recommend when I go to the flyshop this week and pick up my own? I'll need to replace it.

On the bright side, I talked to the only two other people fishing and there was one guy that limited off the beach. He caught one in the morning and one later just after the tide change (3 p.m. or so).

Anyway, I'm currently experiencing a Britney-shaved-head level meltdown.

The good news is that the fish are starting to come in. So we can start hating on each other a little less?

<3.

If anyone has 8 weight rod recommendations, I'm all ears.

- dibling
First, I am sure you know that Sage will replace the rod, no questions asked if you take it to their HQ on Bainbridge - or you can mail it in. I live here and just replaced one myself this week.

I broke mine at the ferrule on the fattest connection of a 4 piece. I have seen many rods broken by failing to seat the ferrules firmly. This is what I did last weekend. I usually seat my ferrules very firmly, but I get tired of struggling to break the rod down after fishing. So, I used a buddy's trick this time by using a bit of forehead grease...well, the ferrule loosed up and I threw a big cast...CRACK! First time using the rod too!

I bought an economical Reddington, Predator for my exclusive saltwater rod. All in, I think I was around $240. I like the rod. Pretty fast rod. Mine is a 6wt and I have had no problems throwing some heavy stuff (using a shooting head to minimize false casting). I would recommend the Predator if it's in your price range. As with the Sage rods, the Reddington's can be replaced at the warehouse.

Funny comment about "hating on each other." I noticed the same thing...you can always tell when people are catching fish because there is less posting overall and more posts with pictures.

#21 ·
Do you have any suggestions as to where in the sound I can try a TFO 8-Weight meant for the salt? I'd have my reel and lines w/ me.

TFO site says Patrick's, Avid, Pen Outfitters, Waters West. Any suggestions? I have never tested a rod in/from a store before.

Thanks

#16 ·
used a buddy's trick this time by using a bit of forehead grease...well, the ferrule loosed up and I threw a big cast...CRACK! First time using the rod too!
This works great on the old metal ferrule, on the new ferrule just us a little candle wax. I wax mine when I put them away for the season so I'm good to go the next year.

#18 ·
When I have broken rods at the ferrel it has usually been due to the rod slipping apart during a cast so that there is not enough overlap between the two sections. I have had good luck with putting a little wax -just dry from rubbing a candle- on the male portion. When you put the sections together you want to press them together and also twist as you are pressing them together.

Sage has a great warranty and stands by their rods. Call em if you want to mail it in or just bring it in if you can.

Hope this helps.

Mike

#30 ·
First off I would be so bummed if I had my car broken into and someone stoled one of my rods and or reels while I was out fishing the other. Second I know I'm bummed when I break a rod, but at least Sage fixed it for me. Not real sure I would want to keep fishing anyway.

#31 ·
I'm lovin' my 8 wt. BVK.

I find it to be a little slower action than my 6 wt. Redington Predator but I think I'm beginning to realize I like a little bit slower rod (not that I'm dissin' my Predator! I enjoy that rod, too!)

I fished the BVK for about 4 hours this morning on a nice MA 10 beach a bit farther north than a well-known L. Miyawaki sponsored beach that's been the subject of many posts lately! ;)

Was hoping to find some silvers that have migrated out of the Strait into more south-easterly portions of the Salish. Was thinkin' the off-and-on rain we've experienced lately might have helped in this endeavor.

Unfortunately no fish to be had for any of the 5 or 6 anglers prowling this beach. Regardless, after the fog burned off it was an amazingly beautiful day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.