Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bean dip?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TD 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an excellent recipe for bean dip? The time of year is coming when sitting around the wood stove in the evening sipping ale and dipping chips is spicy beans sounds mighty good. I have tried making dip on several occasions but never seem to get it close to the best I have eaten in Mexican restaurants. I don't want some lo cal-low fat version, I won't eat it often enough that the real thing will hurt me. If you have something really good I would like to hear about it.

Ive

#4 ·
Get some pinto beans boil then then refry with lots of bacon make sure you mush them good. Make some salsa blend 3 roasted tomatoes roasted japenos a couple of cloves of garlic some salt. Mix salsa and beans now you got bean dip

#7 ·
Jeff is almost there, I do same as his except I then mix in grated cheddar (& maybe some jack) and diced jalapeños (or other peppers, ghosts are my favorite) and warm them in a cast iron pan. I like to use the cast iron because it is seasoned from years of use, I'm the 3rd generation user, and it's mass holds the heat longer which keeps the dip from cooling too quickly.

#10 · (Edited)
Salmo's Dipsomania:

1 can Rosarita vegetarian refried beans into a glass pie plate. I don't heat this in the oven, so I heat the beans a bit in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes.

Add:
1 small can diced green chiles
1 small can chopped black olives
1 tomato, diced
1 ripe avacado, peeled, sliced, and chopped
3 or 4 green onions, chopped
2 or 3 heaping spoons of fresh salsa; I like Emerald Valley, medium heat
Spread all those out on top of the beans.
Sprinkle a bunch of cilantro over this.
Now spread a bunch of sour cream over all.
Then spread a bunch of grated cheddar cheese over all that.
Heat in microwave until it's hot in the center, takes about 5 minutes.

I like the thinnest crispest corn chips, but they tend to break too easily for dipping this concoction, so I usually use a bit thicker chip, Que Pasa, organic.

I make this and eat it as a full meal dinner, with beer. It's the only vegetarian dinner recipe I have, and it's delicious.

Sg

#12 ·
Walkin' Tacos, similar to Salmo's but I don't heat the beans, no cilantro, or salsa, & I add diced jalapenos & green onions and add a layer of guacamole under the sour cream. I spread mine on an old microwave tray & chill before serving.

#13 ·
Here is the easiest one yet.
One can Cattle Drive chili and 1/2 that in cream cheese. Heat the chili tell it melts the cream cheese then chill. Has the advantage of meat. (god knows what kind) ;)

Reactions: 13223
#14 ·
I like to saute garlic, white onion, jalapenos and red chili flake until tender, then dump in canned black beans (drained, but save the liquid) start mashing with a potato masher and stirring. Add the bean juice as needed to thin the paste a bit. Add some mexican hot sauce (I like cholula) and simmer until it thickens just a bit. Then I stir in some queso asadero or queso oaxaca and transfer to a serving dish. Then I sprinkle a little more queso on top. Jaunita's are the best chips for my money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.