Are overweight lines getting out of control?

I don't look down on you. I tell you when you're making bad arguments. I also give credit when they're not bad arguments. You made bad arguments in this thread. I also think you overstated your work with Burkheimer, who is a great rod builder, and I was admittedly harsh with you. I don't think I would even reply to your comments as much if you didn't make so many oversimplified broad claims that just aren't factual.
Read many of Rob’s comments on fly rod design & fly line recommendations over the past few years on this web site. His experience is not overstated. My career was involved with critical design parameters of equipment and systems. The design basis “is what it is.” Sometimes this becomes misunderstood or simply not agreed to in the user’s opinion.

Read many of Rob’s comments on fly rod design & fly line recommendations over the past few years on this web site. His experience is not overstated. My career was involved with critical design parameters of equipment and systems. The design basis “is what it is.” Sometimes this becomes misunderstood or simply not agreed to in the user’s opinion.
I have no doubt that he worked with Burkheimer. I question his statement that he helped design the rods. A better understanding of fly lines would be required for truly designing a fly rod. His comments on this thread as well as many others demonstrate a lack of understanding.

I’m not looking to fight with anyone on here. If Rob decides to try to tell me things that aren’t true, I will correct him. I’ve spent too much time in the fly fishing industry to let someone bs me.

Wyobee

"Back in my day we didn't have all these fancy smancy smart phones, video games and stuff, we only had one game and it was called 'stare at the sun' and we would do it until our eyes would bleed. And we liked it that way!" Paraphrasing ' angry old man' Dana carvey, SNL

As soon as someone makes a line bettet than the cortland 444 I'll pay more for a line.
Rio sure isn't doing it.
You are like my coworker who swears the automobile was perfected with the Mercury Cougar in the 70s. Or that there was no room for improvement on shit he desinged in the 80s. Maybe that's true for him or from his perspective, but it's just one dude's opinion. Your opinion is not fact and does not match the vast majority of people's. So I'm glad you're happy with your old shit for how and where you fish, but it is absolutely not true that there have been no improvements in the rod or line industry in the last 20 years. Stop trolling.

I placed 6th in the 2009 & 2010 Orvis National Casting Competition (accuracy & distance elements built into the casting course in Bend). I’m a FFI certified instructor who’s taught over 1,000 students how to cast and fish. I guided for 20 years. I organized the 2012 Fly Fishing Team USA national championships. I’m qualified to tell you that you’re talking out of your ass on this topic.
Yeah but you cheated because you probably used a 2009 rod (that was really two weights too heavy) and I bet you didn't even have a double taper line. PFFT! Try again chief.

@Rob Allen I have a serious question for you. I'm going to the extreme just to see if you mean what you say or if I mis-understand you. Say we're going musky fishing. We will be casting 10" long flies with lots of drag in the air. What rod and line do you show up with?

Because if I take your posts at face value I would assume you will bring a medium/slow action and a double taper line and that you will aerialize at least 60' of line trying to cast that big ass fly. You'd probably need a damn 14wt to get a line with enough mass to handle that fly. If this is not your answer then don't you think that maybe your broad statements and rigid ideals are maybe a bit mis-guiding to many?

Me? I'm perfectly happy with a modern fast action 10wt rod and a heavy integrated shooting head line. BTW if I call up any rod makers that's what they'll recommend for line and wt to cast these flies. So I'll take them at their word that I'm not abusing the rod.

Honestly. Wouldn’t it just be easier for rods to just be listed with a grain range like two handers. And lines with a 30ft weight and total head weight.
Possibly. Probably not with 5 weight and under. As you get higher in weight, the specific fish you're targeting determines the line you want, and the way the weight is distributed in the head can become more important than the total weight of the head. There are too many variables to be able to really simplify things as well as we would all like. Isn't that part of what makes fly fishing great though? We can spend our entire lives learning as much as we can about fly fishing, and there's always more to learn.

Honestly. Wouldn’t it just be easier for rods to just be listed with a grain range like two handers. And lines with a 30ft weight and total head weight.
My TFO Mini Mag does just that (8-10, 300-400gr)....then again, sometimes I throw a line on it that's above its supposed grain "window"

I mean hell, on my Bandit (listed 10wt glass), I can throw anything from a 6wt line up to a 420gr shooting head quite easily....its sweetest of sweet spots is with a 9.25wt line though (in my hands).

@Rob Allen I have a serious question for you. I'm going to the extreme just to see if you mean what you say or if I mis-understand you. Say we're going musky fishing. We will be casting 10" long flies with lots of drag in the air. What rod and line do you show up with?

Because if I take your posts at face value I would assume you will bring a medium/slow action and a double taper line and that you will aerialize at least 60' of line trying to cast that big ass fly.
I'd like to see him do that for an entire day....chances are he wouldn't last more than an hour.

Latest posts