Are overweight lines getting out of control?

umm too bad most new rods are not better than they were 20 years ago.. just stiffer and lighter.. Things were perfect before now they are worse and as a result of some manufacturers marketing campaigns the whole industry is screwed up.. leading to the mass confusion of everyone who hasn't been around a while.

buy a double taper and learn how to cast beyond the length of the head.
I'm really glad that that no one has made a better rod since my first Sage: 6wt. GFL....IM6 blank....circa 1979. 40 years of some of the most secretive and high end R&D has resulted in.....nothing? And there's never been a better car made than my 66 GTO.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Not liking the nearing the end part though.
I'm right handed. About the only thing I do with my left hand is wave the bird at people. I have either Bursitis, Arthritis, or rheumatism in my right shoulder and when it gets cold out it acts up. I'm not blessed with the good weather like in your state. I still have mornings below freezing. What ever I have it flares up if I use my arm wrong or twist it wrong. I was fine until this cold hit here this winter.

Hem

I really don't find new rod technology to be a difference maker...its just marketing.to continue a level if sales.
I DO find the variety of lines available to be awesome. It makes a difference.
Why labor one line in to the wind when another makes the task easier ?
Though me wonders why bother with an Outbound Short in a 5 weight.

Bentley

I'm right handed. About the only thing I do with my left hand is wave the bird at people. I have either Bursitis, Arthritis, or rheumatism in my right shoulder and when it gets cold out it acts up. I'm not blessed with the good weather like in your state. I still have mornings below freezing. What ever I have it flares up if I use my arm wrong or twist it wrong. I was fine until this cold hit here this winter.
Your mind is sharper than most. Your wit is on target.

Rob Allen

In what ways? I can understand some older rods doing some things better than their next generation rod but when you skip 3-4 generations it’s easy to detect the amazing improvements, and especially the reductions in swing weight.
In every way. And don't get me started on swing weight. It's a marketing term not a performance measure.

I wrote testicle because I was thinking technical. And testicle just came out of my head, wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I just think they are overthinking how to fly fish. Besides I'm nearing the end of Fly fishing..
Well God bless ya Old man. As some one who has fly fished for over 45 years myself I dread the day when I can no longer enjoy the only real passion other than my wife and kids. So from now untill you put your rod in the sleeve on your last outing. Tight lines to ya.

The problem is that these new faster lighter rods don't perform any better than the old stuff and in many cases the older models are far superior. Too bad rod manufacturers are marketing driven and not driven by quality and performance.
I would never argue that. Most of the rods I have are older e.g. RPLXi, RPL, LL,and I have a "Greenie" spey rod along with a couple of two piece rods. But to stay competitive almost all companies are "improving" the graphite and thus the performance of their specific rods.

Latest posts