Pattern What makes Carey so Special?

TD

Your Coachman Carey is nearly identical to a low water fly I used to tye for steelhead. I used it for times that I thought maybe fish were tired of seeing purple, orange, and red. Once I was introduced to Bennet's Halo though, my Carey imitation fell to the way side.

GAT

Dumbfounded
What makes a Carey so special? Nothing. I have yet to catch a single fish with a Carey Special... I have no idea why.

What makes a Carey so special? Nothing. I have yet to catch a single fish with a Carey Special... I have no idea why.
Just the opposite here. I caught my very first large trout on a Carey special. A big pig of an ugly raw-nosed rainbow plant in Gibbs Lake. I was just flabbergasted.

I'd moved from MI (where very little lake fishing for trout was done) not long before and had absolutely no idea what the hell I was doing. DryFlyLarry had been nice enough to take me to Gibbs. When we got there, he kicked North and I kicked south. I was just blindly trolling the fly, with some occasional "puppeteering", and Bam! she slammed that fly and took off. She might have been some ugly stocker, but God, it was fun to hear that real sing and feel her throb on the end of the line. Since then I've caught so many lake fish on Carey Specials that I have no idea of the number. I don't bother trying to keep track of how many fish I catch.

Since then, I've discovered how good William Servey's Olive Willy (http://trademarks.justia.com/owners/servey-william-1791183/) can be, so, when I put in, it's either a Carey Special or an Olive Willy that's usually tied on...... Either one lets me get going with confidence.........

Although not durable (neither is peacock herl), pheasant body hackle is cheap, plentiful, and beautifully mottled. It's a poor man's spey hackle. If that isn't enough, it's a wonderful nymph body material (along with pheasant tail fibers).

I love soft hackles. Theyre my favorite to tie and my favorite to fish. I have my best luck fishing a cruncher during may fly hatches even a very light hatch.

Latest posts