Pattern What makes Carey so Special?

Preston

My favorite Carey Special variant is the Sixpack (defined as a self-bodied Carey tied with yellow-dyed pheasant rump) For many years it was one of my lake favorites. I started tying it a long time back, probably inspired by the amusing story of how Karl Haufler came up with its name. Since I only troll anymore when moving from place to place, I don't fish it as much as I used to. I've always attributed its success to its resemblance to many forms of life without being a precise imitation of anything in particular.

DSCF3485.JPG

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I've realized a modicum of success along the Hanford Reach shoreline at dawn & dusk while using a black "Mari-Carey" that includes a sparse, marabou over-wing (for Steelhead, back in the days when I owned a jet-boat fly-fishing taxi that allowed me to access some great & seldom-fished fly-water.).

Buzzy

What makes a Carey so special? Nothing. I have yet to catch a single fish with a Carey Special... I have no idea why.
Perhaps it isn't a fly you catch fish with because you don't fish it too often? Try the sixpack that Preston shows in this thread. It can work very, very well (somedays).

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
My favorite Carey Special variant is the Sixpack (defined as a self-bodied Carey tied with yellow-dyed pheasant rump) For many years it was one of my lake favorites. I started tying it a long time back, probably inspired by the amusing story of how Karl Haufler came up with its name. Since I only troll anymore when moving from place to place, I don't fish it as much as I used to. I've always attributed its success to its resemblance to many forms of life without being a precise imitation of anything in particular.

View attachment 93073
That color is outstanding on Duck Lake in Montana! Tied em for years, that color, but with a tail. Killer

I've tried holding my mouth in different positions and it has no effect. Some patterns that work great for some guys don't work worth crap for others. Odd how that is.

Very true, Gat. For me its Muddlers. I dont know that Ive ever caught a fish on a muddler

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Very true, Gat. For me its Muddlers. I dont know that Ive ever caught a fish on a muddler
I've caught fish on muddlers and carey's I'm not sure if there is a specific pattern I have not caught fish on that I have actually attempted to catch fish on. I'm ready for the challenge. Nick, I may throw a muddler on one of you lines either this weekend or our salt bass trip, lets end this curse.

I've caught fish on muddlers and carey's I'm not sure if there is a specific pattern I have not caught fish on that I have actually attempted to catch fish on. I'm ready for the challenge. Nick, I may throw a muddler on one of you lines either this weekend or our salt bass trip, lets end this curse.

Well I plan to fish nothing but chartreuse over pink clousers at the Ford on Saturday, so that rules that out......

Actually, youre right, I bet we could catch the hell out of rockfish on them.

Theres just something about that fly that has never appealed to me.

Thought I'd chime in on this one, I was taught years ago that the Carey can be deadly tied like really full. This was on Lenore and it turns out that it is pretty consistent just about everywhere I've tubed. But especially the Columbia basin for some reason. We used to use chukar instead of pheasant rump, when I still had the legs to climb cliffs for the little bastards. I think that worked even better. Dubbed it the Hairy Carey (yes Cubs fan here). Anyway with or without the bead head doesn't seem to matter. I like the little bit of extra weight. When I first started tying this there was no such thing as a bead head lol. Pretty standard except I tie in 3 rump feathers for the hackle and obviously keep it really long. And snip the herl and tie it back in for an underwing. I've never tied it in less than an 8 3xl or bigger than a 4 3xl. The bigger the better, it keeps the yearlings from getting in in their mouths. Which they will anyway. The key I have found is to strip it hard, medium-long strips and pretty brisk. No fussing around, you want them to have to chase it down. Also casting it up against a steep bank, letting it settle then just twitching it or one short strip can be deadly.

A Carey Special I s my go to searching pattern up here on Vancouver island. I like it on a size 12 hook, with a red tag as a tail. Usually fish a new lake trolling a Carey Special on one rod and a leech pattern on the other.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Latest posts