What's in your vise?

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Longer shank like streamer type? I think I heard that you’re trying to get by without articulations in the body.
Sort of. With the above, I tied most of the materials on the shank of the hook, then tied a shorter shank off the bend to connect the tail to. I also tied some materials to that shank (which inhibits water flow over the tail. That back shank is what I think I need to lengthen and tie less stuff on it, just have it be for the tail. I'll try to shoot some pics of some of that process once we get back from 5 days in the Wallowa's (leaving tomorrow!).

Yeah, my most recent 8-9" flies, I've tied just on the Ahrex TP 4/0 hooks and they move really really well. Just experimenting with these tails.

ScottP

Cheech’s Mini Stoneflopper

Another easy-to-tie floater from the folks at Flyfishfood; hopper/stonefly/general attractor. Just a couple minor changes, due to availability of materials, but the results are similar (and yes, I forgot to pinch the barb). Here’s the video if you’re interested.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear tan
legs - medium rubber cornsnake
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan
underwing/head - 2mm foam tan
indicator - 2mm foam orange

Regards,
Scott

Jamie Wilson

Sort of. With the above, I tied most of the materials on the shank of the hook, then tied a shorter shank off the bend to connect the tail to. I also tied some materials to that shank (which inhibits water flow over the tail. That back shank is what I think I need to lengthen and tie less stuff on it, just have it be for the tail. I'll try to shoot some pics of some of that process once we get back from 5 days in the Wallowa's (leaving tomorrow!).

Yeah, my most recent 8-9" flies, I've tied just on the Ahrex TP 4/0 hooks and they move really really well. Just experimenting with these tails.
Great info
Thank you

ScottP

Cheech’s Stoneflopper

Definitely tied this one more as a hopper than a stonefly. Here’s the video if you’re interested.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
thread - UTC 140 tan
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear tan
tail/legs - medium rubber golden stone
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan
underwing/head - 2mm foam tan
indicator - 2mm foam orange

Regards,
Scott

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler

Torrent River Special

Category - Salmon

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - White under body, black for the head
Tip - Oval gold tinsel
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - White floss
Wing - White calf tail
Hackle - Brown hen, full
That would be a excellent searun cutthroat pattern.
SF

ScottP

Cheech’s Moodah Poodah II

The tan one worked well; this one was better.

hook - WFC Model 28 #10
thread - UTC 140 chartreuse
tag - UTC 140 fluoro orange/UV resin
rib - Spanflex black (1/2 strand)
abdomen - Ice Dub caddis green
wing - deer hair bleached
head/overwing - 2mm foam moss green
indicator - Parapost yarn hot orange
legs - medium rubber chartreuse/olive

Regards,
Scott

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts