What's in your vise?

ScottP

Rainbow Warrior Softhackle

This one goes in the tailwater box. Since the standard pheasant tail tail seems to disappear on all of mine as soon as I put them in the water, I decided to use something a bit more durable. Weight is optional; either a few wraps of non-tox under the thorax or a bead.

hook - WFC Model 11 #14
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
tail - mottled hen
abdomen - medium tinsel pearl
thorax - Wapsi Sow-Scud rainbow
shoulder - hen dun

Regards,
Scott

Professor

WFF Supporter
Been awhile since Ive been on here to share what I have been tying! We have gotten many tying tutorial requests for patterns we use personally and finally put together one for the rainbow smolt pattern I use here in Western Washington for trout and bass! I also recently took this pattern to Montana and had a ton of success! I hope if you like it, it brings you the same success! View attachment 256798
Hope you'll soon post a video of a Brown trout smolt to accompany this one.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
I'm the type of guy who carries a bunch of different flies regardless of what I'm fishing for and switches often to best suit the water I'm fishing.
This little tube fills a niche in my fly box based around a very frequent scenario- the need for a long cast in a challenging casting environment, while still fishing a large, swimmy fly. Whether that's casting 70 feet while wading up past your belt, or hugging a brushy high bank while casting long distance, hardly able to swing a 9 foot rod past my head. Being primarily a wade angler, this scenario occurs time and time again, so it pays to have a fly or two that cast well and easy.

IMG_7829.jpg
Using materials like sparse marabou, craft fur and finn raccoon, layered in a way that swims when fishing and slims when casting, achieves this. A weightless plastic tube minimized weight further, while a midweight bead or cone acts as the sinking apparatus.

The materials create plenty of movement and bulk....
IMG_7831.jpg

While casting with this type of profile.
IMG_7830.jpg

Best yet, it works!

IMG_6912.jpg

A 22" rainbow taken on a 22º morning in early 2020.

Buzzy

Continuing to experiment with ugly clipped deer hair "streamers" - olive pine squirrel zonker for the tail, UV dyed olive polar chenille and olive deer hair. I'm using these with my full sink lines for Basin trout. I'd like to believe these flies might work for you lucky farts ladies and gentlemen living near SRC water.

Noisy (olive noisy).jpg

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Continuing to experiment with ugly clipped deer hair "streamers" - olive pine squirrel zonker for the tail, UV dyed olive polar chenille and olive deer hair. I'm using these with my full sink lines for Basin trout. I'd like to believe these flies might work for you lucky farts ladies and gentlemen living near SRC water.

View attachment 259163
Pat,
Those will work for sure.
You going to make it to the wet side for your annual salty next month?
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts