What's in your vise?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
What do you call this type of head, with the bucktail tied back our itself?

That's similar to a bulkhead, but not quite a bulkhead as they're not folded back so much as they are trimmed to shape from a more spun type shape.

Regardless, swim that thing!

Bimini15

That's similar to a bulkhead, but not quite a bulkhead as they're not folded back so much as they are trimmed to shape from a more spun type shape.

Regardless, swim that thing!
Ran out of shank to tie an extra bit of bucktail for a Buford type of head, so this will do.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I believe I used Ahrex Predator Stinger hooks for mine, in 2/0.

Those Bluewater hooks are seriously beefy! I think I originally used the Predator Stinger cause it felt significantly lighter than some other hooks.

Personally I like to use the smallest hook I can get away with. I dont believe a large hook is an advantage. Ive seen way more fish lost with huge hooks than with smaller ones. Its my opinion that when albacore do their super fast head shaking they can easily work a large hook loose. I actually have some underwater footage of this that I took a few years ago.

Anyway, its not like I have a ton of experience fishing topwater for them, so who knows. Thats just what I used.

Last edited:

Wes Penny

It’s been a progression....all around. I wish I’d kept photos of my earlier flies......a Pinterest ‘nailed it’ kinda thing.

I started with 140 denier thread. I’m kinda slow so it took me a half dozen or more ties to realize it simply wasn’t gonna work.

Then I found there’s this crazy thing called the ‘internet’. If you’ve never heard of it....it’s full of tying videos and stuff :rolleyes: After watching a couple Daves McPhail ties, I’m down to 8/0.

Never heard of nano silk before. It looks like some wicked strong thread. I might give it a go if I can’t get the number of wraps down. Thanks.
Semperfli Nano thread absolutely changed my fly tying ability more than any other product I can think of. You can lay triple the amount of wraps compared to UTC 70. It’s very strong and you can bind materials very tight. It can cut materials like pheasant tail though if you’re too tight on the wraps. But for making small heads and minimizing bulk at the eye there is no better product. 12/0 50D is mostly what I use.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts