What's in your vise?

Kfish

WFF Supporter
That should hunt. I cant say about fouling, but its definitely a possibility. I like the color combo. I recommend having as many color and size/profile options as possible as some days it really can make a big difference.

One adjustment I've made to most of my albacore flies is minimizing the red throat, even omitting it often. My reason for doing so, and I can't honestly say if it makes a difference one way or another, is that for whatever reason albacore don't seem to like to eat wounded prey as much as they like fresh stuff. This is based on chumming God knows how many thousands of anchovies and herring towards feeding fish. Without a doubt lively, unwounded bait gets eaten faster. So I now minimize the red throat just to avoid giving off that super wounded vibe, as if it's bleeding. I dunno, just my outlook on it.
Aye aye Cap'n! Note taken!

ScottP

Norm Woods Special (variation)

50862825217_e067e82a25_c.jpg

50862011193_5c1a0b056c_c.jpg

50862011168_15eb149dc4_c.jpg

Struck by the multitude of wing colors while looking at some different takes on this fly; on this one, I tried to approximate the color mentioned by John Kreft in this article. The hackle color is all wrong; searching the Rit formulas for something more of a golden brown.

hook - TMC 5212 #8
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
rib - x-small wire gold
abdomen - dubbing goldish tan
body hackle - brown (undersize by 2)
wing - calftail dyed dark burnt orange (2 Tsp Rit Sunshine Orange, 1/4 Tsp Rit Tan, 1/4 Tsp Rit Purple/4 cups water)
thorax - Ice Dub golden brown
front hackle - brown

Regards,
Scott

Professor

WFF Supporter
Here is my latest video on tying my resin scud. I hope it encourages a few to give it a try. #wgpenny
View attachment 268535

Here is my latest video on tying my resin scud. I hope it encourages a few to give it a try. #wgpenny
View attachment 268535
Fantastic evolvable technique. Certainly is an improvement over makflies technique of fixing only one leg group at a time with resin. Now if you pull the antron fibers horizontal over a nymph body made from tapered stretch cord, you have nice gills once fibers are trimmed short. Can even use a thin ribbon of a long fibers dubbing to get fuzzier gills. Horizontal fibers would make a nice Sow Bug.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I received confirmation this week that I am on for at least one day tuna fishing later this year with a group going out with @Nick Clayton. I am excited, so hoping all pans out fish and weather wise! With that in mind, why not start playing around with tuna ties ;). Nick, @SilverFly initial thoughts? Size? Coloration? Will I have fouling issues? Did’ rod much research outside of taking a look at a few pics online so I think I will have a little work to do.

View attachment 268512
Nice fly.

Re: potential fouling issues, one way I've virtually omitted any fouling issues with my big stuff is tying in a small clump of bucktail off the back end of the shank just before the hook bend. The amount, length and whether or not you go 360 around the fly depends on the fly. It's just stiff enough, while still providing some amazing movement to keep from fouling.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Nice fly.

Re: potential fouling issues, one way I've virtually omitted any fouling issues with my big stuff is tying in a small clump of bucktail off the back end of the shank just before the hook bend. The amount, length and whether or not you go 360 around the fly depends on the fly. It's just stiff enough, while still providing some amazing movement to keep from fouling.

I did do this. Probably tough to see in the picture but the base belly layer is bucktail with the rest being artificial materials.

It’s just fun tying big stuff so I’ll probably tie a bunch of different things with the hopes the tuna and weather gods play ball later this year!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts