Hook - Mustad R74-9672, size 8
Thread - Black
Overbody - Black foam
Ribbing - Orange uni stretch, multiple strands twisted
Body - Black dubbing brush
Legs - Black/orange rubber legs
Wing - Cream antron fibers
Painted orange eyes

I don't think they'll be in my area but the bluegills should be all over this thing

MT_Flyfisher

I tied this wet fly last Fall to fish for emerging White Miller caddis on the Firehole River, and is was very effective the couple days I fished there. In fact, it worked so well that I’m anxious to try it again this year to see if last year was just a fluke, or if this fly will actually work that well again. (I think it will.)

The hook is a Tiemco 3761 nymph hook, size #16, the body is SLF pearl Prisim dubbing tied in a dubbing loop, with 16//0 Veevus thread in light olive, and a few turns of grey color Hungarian Partridge. Very easy and quick to tie.

This fly is intended to look scruffy, so I don’t worry if the head, or the rest of the fly, isn’t tied neat and pretty. Not that all of my flies look very neat and pretty anyway.

8CF83A27-100E-4E2C-8949-5C149F941492.jpeg

I also tied a similar style wet fly this spring using peacock colored SLF Prism Dubbing for the body and brown Hungarian Partridge to fish for emerging Grannom caddis that also worked quite well.

John

ScottP

I tied this wet fly last Fall to fish for emerging White Miller caddis on the Firehole River, and is was very effective the couple days I fished there. In fact, it worked so well that I’m anxious to try it again this year to see if last year was just a fluke, or if this fly will actually work that well again. (I think it will.)

The hook is a Tiemco 3761 nymph hook, size #16, the body is SLF pearl Prisim dubbing tied in a dubbing loop, with 16//0 Veevus thread in light olive, and a few turns of grey color Hungarian Partridge. Very easy and quick to tie.

This fly is intended to look scruffy, so I don’t worry if the head, or the rest of the fly, isn’t tied neat and pretty. Not that all of my flies look very neat and pretty anyway.

View attachment 281905

I also tied a similar style wet fly this spring using peacock colored SLF Prism Dubbing for the body and brown Hungarian Partridge to fish for emerging Grannom caddis that also worked quite well.

John

John,

That’s a nice fly; I had real good luck there in the fall a few years ago with a similar fly, just swinging it where the fast water dumped into a pool. I added a thorax of olive dubbing but don’t think it really mattered all that much.
I think I stood in one spot and caught 10 fish; the guys fishing below me weren’t getting anything on dries. I’d love to try it this spring but won’t be able to get down there until later in the year.

Regards,
Scott

MT_Flyfisher

John,

That’s a nice fly; I had real good luck there in the fall a few years ago with a similar fly, just swinging it where the fast water dumped into a pool. I added a thorax of olive dubbing but don’t think it really mattered all that much.
I think I stood in one spot and caught 10 fish; the guys fishing below me weren’t getting anything on dries. I’d love to try it this spring but won’t be able to get down there until later in the year.

Regards,
Scott
Scott -
I had similar results to yours, except I also caught a few fish with it in slower moving water where I could actually see the fish move to take the fly. It really came into its own in the faster moving water though.
John

ScottP

Muddled White Miller Caddis

51183208318_3ffc2a7153_c.jpg

51182305082_7311f7c66e_c.jpg

51182992506_7cecf55044_c.jpg

51183774414_a20eed4594_c.jpg

Reunited with the rest of my tying stuff! The hook is a short-shank, same length as a #16 but with a wider gap; may help in hooking. The bugs should be around for Opening Day in Yellowstone in 2 weeks.

hook - BVFT Dry #14
thread - Veevus 8/0 olive
body - Zelon dubbing white miller
wing - Congo Hair white
collar - pronghorn hair white

Regards,
Scott

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts