What's in your vise?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I was inspired by your tie and have fished McGinty's twice for trout since you posted it. With so many bee's buzzing around I felt it should work. It went completly untouched both times. Maybe my ties suck or I don't fish it right, or the fish can get stung and learn? I don't know, but I liked your fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak
Softhackle Goddard Caddis

51328894877_1a9ab01133_c.jpg

51329840728_4126665697_c.jpg

51330623790_b678d463e7_c.jpg

For some reason, I felt a need for a little self-flaggelation. Plus with pronghorn is you can spin it with finer thread and not pop off (too often); minus is it’s a bit thick, making it harder (for me) to get a real tight body. It’ll still float and after a fish or two they all look like I ran them over with the truck anyway. Change color to suit your needs; this one was based on a piece of hackle left over from a failed attempt at a green drake variation.

hook - WFC Model 4 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 chartreuse
body - pronghorn dyed olive (1 Tbs Rit golden yellow/1 cup water overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Golden yellow, 1 tsp Rit dark green/1 cup water)
hackle - grizzly dyed chartreuse

Regards,
Scott
Fantastic use of materials towards one of my all time favorite patterns. I have fond memories of fishing the Madison with great success with a Goddard Caddis.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
they all look like I ran them over with the truck anyway.
Some said of a fly (I think the Brooks Montana Stone tied in the round) that it will work better if you drop it on the ground and grind it under your foot before fishing it.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
I was inspired by your tie and have fished McGinty's twice for trout since you posted it. With so many bee's buzzing around I felt it should work. It went completly untouched both times. Maybe my ties suck or I don't fish it right, or the fish can get stung and learn? I don't know, but I liked your fly.
Most of the trout I've caught on the McGinty have been on the dangle at the end of a swing, just hanging in the current. Cause everyone knows bees are great swimmers against current. I think the fly just acts as a bright lure.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Most of the trout I've caught on the McGinty have been on the dangle at the end of a swing, just hanging in the current. Cause everyone knows bees are great swimmers against current. I think the fly just acts as a bright lure.
That sounds right. I used to fish it downstream in the section between Denny's and Jackson Park Golf Course as a kid and it was good. I'd forgot until you said that.

Reactions: Zak

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts