What's in your vise?

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
I'm thinking of going bass fishing. Never done it. I've always scoffed at bass but I thought I might dip my toes in with some top water action. I used sharpies and canned air with 2 ton epoxy to paint some of these. The only thing I didn't have on hand were the eyes.

Attachments

• poppers.jpeg
    poppers.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39

chris stiemert

WFF Supporter
I'm thinking of going bass fishing. Never done it. I've always scoffed at bass but I thought I might dip my toes in with some top water action. I used sharpies and canned air with 2 ton epoxy to paint some of these. The only thing I didn't have on hand were the eyes.
I don’t fish for bass often but it’s a lot of fun - I’m not good at it but seem to catch at least one each time out - I have a very vivid memory from last year when I threw a deer hair popper about a foot from shore and a smallmouth ate it as it hit the surface, I swear it was watching it come down, the takes are incredible. When I have a cold streak going in my other fisheries I head to a local lake and throw poppers to get the skunk off.

Olive bugger

Most of the trout I've caught on the McGinty have been on the dangle at the end of a swing, just hanging in the current. Cause everyone knows bees are great swimmers against current. I think the fly just acts as a bright lure.
You bring up a great point. I was just musing at the table this morning, about what a fish thinks. I am beginning to suspect I credit them with too much reason and not enough learned response. Sorta like Pavlov's fish?

Reactions: Zak

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
This year the beadhead softhackle hare's ear is no. 1. No. 2 is the partridge and orange and 3 is the black spider. The Pat's rubber leg was no. 1 last year, and were getting to the "second" season, but it's been 4 up until now. Lots of way to tie it on the interweb. Here is mine. 8 3xl here, 6 4xl is my other main size. For short legs like these cut strands into 4, long legs cut into thirds.
20210729_174349[1].jpg
12turns weight, front antenii, tails then chenille
20210729_173108[1].jpg
20210729_173405[1].jpg
I'll tie legs one each side and one with an X over in the middle
20210729_173737[1].jpg
wrap chenille forward, and use to position legs as you go then tie off, cement.
20210729_174046[1].jpg
Works well drifted deep, or skated with a tight line on top.

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
my ratty version of a shock and awe. I don't have any tubes, so I just tied it on a shank and trailer. I'll swim it before I decide if I'm going to trim it.

MK7eMXP.jpg

UTg8wqq.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts