What's in your vise?

Those "kids toys" can be found in certain fly shops as a product called "dragon tails ". The action is amazing in the water.
Have you cast it yet? I haven't yet on my 10wt, but a coworker cast one on the jetty with his 8wt and said it absolutely sucked (he knows what he's doing), sooooo, we'll see if this'll be a casting fly or a trolling fly (lure)...I honestly would just love to get a pic of my monstrosity pinned in the corner of a big musky's mouth!

Have you cast it yet? I haven't yet on my 10wt, but a coworker cast one on the jetty with his 8wt and said it absolutely sucked (he knows what he's doing), sooooo, we'll see if this'll be a casting fly or a trolling fly (lure)...I honestly would just love to get a pic of my monstrosity pinned in the corner of a big musky's mouth!
So you can't cast it on a fly rod and its basically just lashed to a hook but its a fly you ties?

Anyway, in respect for this thread I started a new thread for this muppet fly. Maybe lets take the drama there?

Not yet, but definitely 10wt fodder

So you can't cast it on a fly rod and its basically just lashed to a hook but its a fly you ties?

Anyway, in respect for this thread I started a new thread for this muppet fly. Maybe lets take the drama there?
dude, you have nooooo idea...I'll have a muppet fly for you within a week or two

btw, I never said I couldn't cast it, just that my buddy with his 8wt didn't enjoy casting it. You probably couldn't cast a size 2 weighted clouser with a 2wt either...

but yeah, the action of those things underwater is pretty incredible

The largest flies i ever tied were 2 double articulated monsters that measured 20" & looked like lenok trout for my friends trip to Russia to fish for taimen on the Mongolian border 1.5yrs ago, had a lot of fun in the design part, wanted them to be big in the water but castable, lot of bigfly fibre, bucktail, flashabou & ostrich, but sparse & a Pro soft head so it wouldn't catch air! Mate said he tested it first with a 8wt Zephrus & said he was surprised how well it casted, but he is a member of the Hardy pro team! I'm just glad some of my flies get fished in all these exotic places he goes each year!

ScottP

Black and Olive Dabbler Variant

Tying sequence same as the Olive Partridge and Brown Variant except head was made with a dubbing loop for a bushier look.

hook - Mustad 9671 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tag - tinsel holo orange
tail - golden pheasant dyed hot orange
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing black
body hackle - golden olive (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water, overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow, 1 tsp Rit Dark Green/1 cup water)
wing - bronze mallard
head - Ice Dub black

Regards,
Scott

Latest posts