What's in your vise?

Nick - very cool the contrast between the vise and wet! Care to share products used? Very nice, indeed!

This one is based on this pattern I came across on YouTube.

Instead of craft fur I used chartreuse Water Silk, Olive baitfish Congo Hair, and White Water Silk, all from Fly Tyers Dungeon. I also added a couple pieces of lateral line flash.

Buzzy

This one is based on this pattern I came across on YouTube.

Instead of craft fur I used chartreuse Water Silk, Olive baitfish Congo Hair, and White Water Silk, all from Fly Tyers Dungeon. I also added a couple pieces of lateral line flash.
Thanks Nick! I have an order of materials and hooks arriving tomorrow and now I guess I'm going to have to place an order with The Dungeon! (Remember the bit about the money we spend in tying?) I really like this fly.

GAT

Dumbfounded
No, I didn't fall off the planet and yes, I've still been tying dozens of flies... I just haven't taken any photos.

Here's some of my latest baitfish patterns for bass. You may notice I used a lead jig hook with a big red eye for one of the patterns. That's a prototype for my bass masters tournament co-worker. Sooner or later I hope to come up with a pattern he can use with his spin gear. The jig is 1/4 ounce so it may be heavy enough for him to cast. I tied another one with a metal cone over a tungsten bead at the head. That one is heavy enough that he should be able to cast that guy.

Anyway, this is what's been in my vise:

group bait fish web.jpg

Last edited:
A shakey head worm is very effective in the gear world for bass. Keeping with my theme of sight fishing flies I wanted to tie something visible...Bass do not like things waving in their face especially during the spawn.

I took a opst shank and lashed a 5 inch strip of rabbit tail to it with the last 1/2 inch stripped of fibers for a good tie in point. Then I wrapped strips of foam to it until it was almost 1/2 inch thick. I then did rabbit in two dubbing loops over the foam and cinched it all down. This is the flies ass end and its meant to float. I tied the other end of the rabbit strip to a 1/16 shakey head jig and put some foam on back end of jig. This jig style is meant to stand straight up...I dubbed the body and did some rubber legs. This should really piss off Momma Bass. It stands straight up and down.... Screenshot_20180225-110158.png Screenshot_20180225-110140.png

GAT

Dumbfounded
A shakey head worm is very effective in the gear world for bass. Keeping with my theme of sight fishing flies I wanted to tie something visible...Bass do not like things waving in their face especially during the spawn.

I took a opst shank and lashed a 5 inch strip of rabbit tail to it with the last 1/2 inch stripped of fibers for a good tie in point. Then I wrapped strips of foam to it until it was almost 1/2 inch thick. I then did rabbit in two dubbing loops over the foam and cinched it all down. This is the flies ass end and its meant to float. I tied the other end of the rabbit strip to a 1/16 shakey head jig and put some foam on back end of jig. This jig style is meant to stand straight up...I dubbed the body and did some rubber legs. This should really piss off Momma Bass. It stands straight up and down.... View attachment 163586 View attachment 163587
That's a dandy. Where did you get the jig hook?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
No, I didn't fall off the planet and yes, I've still been tying dozens of flies... I just haven't taken any photos.

Here's some of my latest baitfish patterns for bass. You may notice I used a lead jig hook with a big red eye for one of the patterns. That's a prototype for my bass masters tournament co-worker. Sooner or later I hope to come up with a pattern he can use with his spin gear. The jig is 1/4 ounce so it may be heavy enough for him to cast. I tied another one with a metal cone over a tungsten bead at the head. That one is heavy enough that he should be able to cast that guy.

Anyway, this is what's been in my vise:

View attachment 163585

Those look great Gene.

I took a opst shank and lashed a 5 inch strip of rabbit tail to it with the last 1/2 inch stripped of fibers for a good tie in point. Then I wrapped strips of foam to it until it was almost 1/2 inch thick. I then did rabbit in two dubbing loops over the foam and cinched it all down. This is the flies ass end and its meant to float. I tied the other end of the rabbit strip to a 1/16 shakey head jig and put some foam on back end of jig. This jig style is meant to stand straight up...I dubbed the body and did some rubber legs. This should really piss off Momma Bass. It stands straight up and down.... View attachment 163586 View attachment 163587
Billy,
That vertical presentation can be deadly with the foam added to the tail.
SF