What's in your vise?

Articulated PLM V2

IMG_4529.jpg IMG_4531.jpg

The whole articulation thing has got me going and it's been a process trying to really nail it. I feel like this fly does everything I want it too-- push water, shimmy and kick side to side, sink at a slow-moderate pace, maintain a natural taper, and not foul around itself.

It has a considerable amount of bulk relative to most of my other single-hooked PLMs, and I have tied it with and without the schlappen in front, which adds quite a bit to the bulk of the fly. But, the bigger head does push more water and I believe can make the tail dance a bit more.

We'll see how she does!

Nyland's Bumble (variant)

A simple one for production mode; plenty of places where this one can play.

hook - Mustad 3906 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 olive
tag - tinsel gold
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing olive
hackle - olive
front hackle - hen grizzly

Regards,
Scott

This will be money stripped on a sink tip at the state trout parks.

[H] still ending up way too close to the eye. Worked on this one this morning since I couldn't sleep.

When you start your thread and lay down a thread base try starting a good ways back from the eye, further than you'd think you'd need, and keep that part of the shank bare. This will help keep in your head that that area is for finishing the head. You can always fill that part in as needed but you can't really create extra room once you crowd the eye

When you start your thread and lay down a thread base try starting a good ways back from the eye, further than you'd think you'd need, and keep that part of the shank bare. This will help keep in your head that that area is for finishing the head. You can always fill that part in as needed but you can't really create extra room once you crowd the eye
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that this evening

Latest posts