What's in your vise?

ScottP

Teal, Blue and Silver

Had to go thru a whole new bag of teal flank to find 1 decent wing feather (and this one wasn't all that great); thanks Hareline.

hook - Mustad 3906 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - golden pheasant tippets
rib - small wire silver
body - tinsel silver
hackle - dyed kingfisher blue (Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry 2 packs/1 cup of water)
wing - teal flank

Regards,
Scott

Feather quality these days leaves a lot to be desired. Never take the next package off the hook without looking over all that is there. I got a funny look from a guy working at Cabelas for opening a bag of strung hackle once. Told him I planned on buying something but I wasn't going to accept something that wouldn't work for what I needed it for.

ScottP

Feather quality these days leaves a lot to be desired. Never take the next package off the hook without looking over all that is there. I got a funny look from a guy working at Cabelas for opening a bag of strung hackle once. Told him I planned on buying something but I wasn't going to accept something that wouldn't work for what I needed it for.
Agreed; had to get this stuff online, unfortunately. I've bought from this vendor before and been happy with the quality - got 2 packs of bronze mallard at the same time and it's fine. May have to take up duck hunting to get some decent teal.

Regards,
Scott

Articulated PLM V2

View attachment 163946 View attachment 163947

The whole articulation thing has got me going and it's been a process trying to really nail it. I feel like this fly does everything I want it too-- push water, shimmy and kick side to side, sink at a slow-moderate pace, maintain a natural taper, and not foul around itself.

It has a considerable amount of bulk relative to most of my other single-hooked PLMs, and I have tied it with and without the schlappen in front, which adds quite a bit to the bulk of the fly. But, the bigger head does push more water and I believe can make the tail dance a bit more.

We'll see how she does!
Very nice, what size hooks are those?

Agreed; had to get this stuff online, unfortunately. I've bought from this vendor before and been happy with the quality - got 2 packs of bronze mallard at the same time and it's fine. May have to take up duck hunting to get some decent teal.

Regards,
Scott
I try not to buy feathers, fur and hair online. Even though the vendor is reputable the quality control of these products is not in their hands. This stuff comes pre-packed and I have to think that the people who stuff the ziploc bags are likely not tyers so don't weed out anything of poorer quality. The demand for materials is high as there's more people tying now than ever before. I guess we get what we get and be thankful any time something better comes along.

ScottP

Brayshaw's Mallard, Peacock and Silver

Found the flank feather while taking a walk in the neighborhood; light years better than the crappy teal.

hook - Dai Riki 899 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 black
rib - small wire silver
body - tinsel silver
hackle - hen badger
underwing - peacock herl
wing - mallard flank

Regards,
Scott

Regards,
Scott
Scott,
Have you tried select pintail ? It's just as good as teal, not quite as dark but much larger and easier to get than good teal. John at feathersmc.com usually has some of both.
Mark

Latest posts