What's in your vise?

When doing lingcod trips out of Westport for my job we first catch flounder and then use live flounder to catch the lings. To catch the flounder we generally fish little plastic grubs on bait hooks tipped with a piece of shrimp or squid. Works great, but the little grubs get destroyed super easy, and once the bait comes off the hook the grubs on their own don't catch very well. So this year I'm tying some GITD "flies" to use instead. We will still tip these with bait, but are hoping that if the bait comes off they might fish a little better and be much more durable.

28514921_10213828092769041_234209844153496315_o.jpg

When doing lingcod trips out of Westport for my job we first catch flounder and then use live flounder to catch the lings. To catch the flounder we generally fish little plastic grubs on bait hooks tipped with a piece of shrimp or squid. Works great, but the little grubs get destroyed super easy, and once the bait comes off the hook the grubs on their own don't catch very well. So this year I'm tying some GITD "flies" to use instead. We will still tip these with bait, but are hoping that if the bait comes off they might fish a little better and be much more

View attachment 164104
when I ran mid week ling cod charters in the 70's (Half Moon Bay, CA), before heading to the offshore rock peaks, used to stop my 65' charter boat on the shallower flats so my customers could load up on sand dabs , using packaged rockcod shrimp flies w/small strip baits..lings love flatties of any kind...during drifts over the rockpile, I'd stand at the very bow, pitching hand made chrome bars (4 sided thrift store towel bars I'd fill with lead, cut at angles, use soft bronze large trebles I could straighten if snagged) in the direction of the drift, pumping that bar up and down on the rocks until that familiar tug/pull..would have my deckhand put my catch into the bags of the more clueless fisherman who were struggling to get their limits..we routinely brought back 200+ lings per trip, with many over 30#. Those days long gone..

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I helped a young neighbor judiciously de-limb 2 overgrown Maple trees over the last couple days, so I tied a monkey fist & multiple bowline loops so we could tether & guide large limbs down & away from his house & fence. I was the ground man, 2 neighbors did the aerial work & I cut-up the stuff on the ground (no ladders or tree climbing for the old guy:D - I AM getting smarter!). Trees look good, project went very well, dumpster is loaded and full; good neighbors make for good neighborhoods. At one point after I suggested how to drop a large & potentially troublesome limb, one of them said: "You're smarter than both of us!" To which I replied: "Nope - just much older; being around longer gave me increased opportunity to make and learn from more mistakes" . . .

Latest posts