What's in your vise?

Twisting the venerable Sparkle Minnow to match my needs....

IMG_4550.jpg

Size 4, about 3" long. I dislike using hookpoint-down flies in rivers, after finding just how easy it is to dull your hooks. Inverted flies snag bottom less, dull less, and it's hard for me to fish a streamer pattern these days without eyes of some kind. Dumbbell eyes provide the inversion and fishy appeal that I believe makes a BIG difference when dealing with predatory fish that see some pressure. Browns in general seem to be more discerning when it comes to eating, and I believe the eyes help them zero in on the head and not just slash the tail when it comes to crunch time.

Agreed. I guess I can just come back to a particular fly a day or two later and tie 3 more and yet the day or two away is enough to give me a break. It also takes me a couple flies before I figure out what I am doing anyway.

Agreed. I guess I can just come back to a particular fly a day or two later and tie 3 more and yet the day or two away is enough to give me a break. It also takes me a couple flies before I figure out what I am doing anyway.
I have horrible fly-tying ADD, too. If you've never done a swap before, I highly recommend one. The smaller groups are great - forces you to focus on 10 or so copies of the same pattern. Doing that many in a row really hones your skills. I can tie some complex patterns (like stimulators) in about half the time I used to. The ADD is still there, but now I can bounce between patterns even quicker!

Latest posts