What's in your vise?

I'm not sure why I don't see many winter steelhead flies tied using bucktail. I threw this together rather hurriedly just to see how it would look in the water. It looks great, moves great and is cake to cast. The bucktail compresses down so that it looks like that leechy-type of pattern that virtually all winter steelhead flies end up looking like when they're wet.

Found a new use for Gulff resin today. Had just about finished this clouser when I flipped it over and noticed the far side pupil on the dumbbell eye I tied on was all jacked up and missing. Really pissed me off for a second... Would a one eyed fly catch fish? Sure. Would I have the confidence to fish it? Meh.

Just then I saw the bottle of red Gulff on my desk and was hit with some inspiration.

A quick dab where the pupil would be and this fly is back from Cyclops status

20190103_141218.jpg

Green Charm (Var)

Hook - Salmon/steelhead style
Trgead - Black
Tail - yellow dyed hackle fibers
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Green floss
Wing - Green dyed greyish mottled monkey hair

Variation - Green dyed grey squirrel tail is the closest I have to green dyed grey mottled monkey hair. extremely rare in my area of connecticut

Reference - Hair-wing Atlantic Salmon Flies - Keith Fulsher & Charles Krom

I decided to play around with my pool noodle popper. I wanted to get it to a point where it's more modular, so that you can basically make any fly a popper. I found the type of swivel I wanted, but it's heavier than I want (not nearly enough to sink the fly, just heavier than I want for the action that I want), so the search shall continue.

Cheers!

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Found a new use for Gulff resin today. Had just about finished this clouser when I flipped it over and noticed the far side pupil on the dumbbell eye I tied on was all jacked up and missing. Really pissed me off for a second... Would a one eyed fly catch fish? Sure. Would I have the confidence to fish it? Meh.

Just then I saw the bottle of red Gulff on my desk and was hit with some inspiration.

A quick dab where the pupil would be and this fly is back from Cyclops status

View attachment 188263
I’ve done something similar. I’ve used fabric paint, let it dry and then covered that with uv resin. I’m really digging these colored UV resins though.

ScottP

Denson's Red-Ribbed Cruncher

Tailwater stuff; getting to be that time.

hook - Dai Riki 070 #12
thread - Danville 6/0 red
tail - hackle furnace
rib - Holoshimmer red
counterrib - x-small wire gold
abdomen - peacock herl (sparse)
thorax - peacock herl
cheeks - medium tinsel holo red
hackle - hen furnace

sub pheasant tail for peacock

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:
Ok, let's go! You can even choose the music....ha!

June/July seem to be pretty reliable (although I did pretty well in Sept. as well).

Don't be surprised when you hear from me this summer! I've tried to get out with DustinChromers a few times but it hasn't worked out yet. I am so itching to give this fishery a try. Chromers tells me that my boat would do just fine too.

Latest posts