What's in your vise?

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Stoneflies tonight

One of the more prominent river insects in Western Washington this time of year are little black stoneflies. This one's on a 12, but they get down to around 16.
IMG_5837.jpg

Come late spring and summer, large golden stones will be out and about, a favorite food source of trout. Size 8 and 10 are a favorite of mine throughout the summer months.
IMG_5840.jpg

Golden stones in our rivers can grow in excess of 2" long and attract some of the largest trout around to the surface. The wider gap of a #6 200R combined with the extended body gives plenty of space to hook a trout that takes the fly aggressively.
IMG_5841.jpg IMG_5842.jpg
IMG_5843.jpg

ScottP

Houston's Red Lady (variant)

A very sad day; last of the #075's. Hopefully, some day Dai Riki will return but until then it's back to the 3906's. Here's Mr. Houston's video if you need some help tying this.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - golden pheasant tippet
rib - small wire gold
body - mylar tinsel gold
body hackle - hot orange/black
1st shoulder hackle - golden pheasant red rump
2nd shoulder hackle - golden pheasant yellow rump

Regards,
Scott

A very sad day; last of the #075's. Hopefully, some day Dai Riki will return but until then it's back to the 3906's. Here's Mr. Houston's video if you need some help tying this.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
rib - small wire gold
body - mylar tinsel gold

Regards,
Scott
Mark doesn't waste any time tying that fly...:D

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
rib - small wire gold
body - mylar tinsel gold

Regards,
Scott
Good to see you putting that golden pheasant skin too use Scott. Really like these patterns you've been tying, keep em coming !

In Mike Valla's book 'Tying the founding flies' he recommends the Mustad 9671 or similar. As wing pads 'bright blue kingfisher' or 'blue floss'. Some lead wire .015-inch thorax area is needed.

Mike
well i guess im pretty darn close

These are the pattern recipes as given in McClane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia.

Atherton's Nymph Pattern Recipes -
#1 - (Light Nymph)
Hook: #14 - #10 regular or up to 2XL length shank
Tail: 3 strands wood-duck flank feather
Body: natural baby seal fur ribbed w/narrow oval gold tinsel
Thorax: same as body only fatter and without ribbing, can be padded or weighted underneath
Wing/wingcase: two tiny jungle cock eyes tied over thorax.
They must not extend beyond thorax. They should project at a very slight angle to each side.
(delta wing style)

#2 - (Medium Nymph)
Hook: Regular shank (no hook size specified)
Tail: three short strands cock ringneck pheasant center tail fibers
Abdomen: hare's ear dubbing tied rough and ribbed with narrow oval gold tinsel
Thorax: same dubbing over padding or fuse wire
Wing pads : bright blue silk floss or lurex plastic tinsel
Legs: brown speckled partridge hackle - tied beard style

#3 - (Dark Nymph)
Hook: #1- - #16 regular length shank
Tail: few strands of dark furnace hackle fibers
Body: Muskrat or mole fur mixed with red- brown seals fur ribbed with narrow oval gold tinsel. Dubbing should be picked out between ribs.
Thorax: Tied thick and rough but not ribbed (same material as body)
Wing cases: length of bright blue silk floss or lurex and given several coats of clear lacquer
Hackle: dark furnace clipped off top and bottom leaving a few fibers at each side.
Head: clear lacquer over tying silk (black)

in the book "the fly and the fish" by john atherton there is no mention of hooks (one could use what they have on hand) and the wing case is "bright blue feather from the wing of english kingfisher" of which i wasnt about to scour the internet to tie a few flies (i like to be accurate where possible but i will substitute when necessary)

per the mike valla book "the founding flies"

Hook - Mustad 9671 #8-14 (size 10 shown)
Thread - Tan
Tail - 3 ring neck pheasant tail fibers
Ribbing = Oval gold tinsel
Body & Thorax - Hares ear tied rough and picked out
Wing case - Bright blue kingfisher or floss
Hackle - Partridge

Other recipe

Number two: Medium color nymph
Tail - 3 short strands from the long tail feather of the cock pheasant (ring neck)
Body - Hare's ear, tied rough and ribbed with marrow oval gold tinsel. After ribbing, the dubbing is picked out between the ribs with a dubbing needle to suggest the gills of the nymph and to add a softer outline
Thorax - Same dubbing over padding or fuse wire. Before winding on this dubbing, the wing case feather is tied in at the back of the thorax, upside down and pointing to the tail of the fly
Wing Case - Bright blue feather from the wing of an English kingfisher, lacquered when in place. This feather, although exactly what I needed to suggest the sparkle of color or light on the wing case, is apt to come apart after some use. I have tried to find a proper substitute and so far the best is a bit of synthetic silk floss, of nearly the same color, heavily lacquered after tying in. It is permanent but not as bright and sparkling as the feather. My good friend, Harry Darbee, the fly tier, recently suggested that the stripped quill from a large feather such as goose or swan could be dyes and used for this purpose. It should be much more nearly permanent than the rather delicate kingfisher feather, but as yet I have not had the opportunity of trying it out.
Hackle - European partridge, eithet the gray or brown speckled hackle feather.
Hook sizes - 10, 12, 14, 16

Reference - The Fly and the Fish - John Atherton

Last edited:
well i guess im pretty darn close

These are the pattern recipes as given in McClane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia.

Atherton's Nymph Pattern Recipes -
#1 - (Light Nymph)
Hook: #14 - #10 regular or up to 2XL length shank
Tail: 3 strands wood-duck flank feather
Body: natural baby seal fur ribbed w/narrow oval gold tinsel
Thorax: same as body only fatter and without ribbing, can be padded or weighted underneath
Wing/wingcase: two tiny jungle cock eyes tied over thorax.
They must not extend beyond thorax. They should project at a very slight angle to each side.
(delta wing style)

#2 - (Medium Nymph)
Hook: Regular shank (no hook size specified)
Tail: three short strands cock ringneck pheasant center tail fibers
Abdomen: hare's ear dubbing tied rough and ribbed with narrow oval gold tinsel
Thorax: same dubbing over padding or fuse wire
Wing pads : bright blue silk floss or lurex plastic tinsel
Legs: brown speckled partridge hackle - tied beard style

#3 - (Dark Nymph)
Hook: #1- - #16 regular length shank
Tail: few strands of dark furnace hackle fibers
Body: Muskrat or mole fur mixed with red- brown seals fur ribbed with narrow oval gold tinsel. Dubbing should be picked out between ribs.
Thorax: Tied thick and rough but not ribbed (same material as body)
Wing cases: length of bright blue silk floss or lurex and given several coats of clear lacquer
Hackle: dark furnace clipped off top and bottom leaving a few fibers at each side.
Head: clear lacquer over tying silk (black)

in the book "the fly and the fish" by john atherton there is no mention of hooks (one could use what they have on hand) and the wing case is "bright blue feather from the wing of english kingfisher" of which i wasnt about to scour the internet to tie a few flies (i like to be accurate where possible but i will substitute when necessary)

per the mike valla book "the founding flies"

Hook - Mustad 9671 #8-14 (size 10 shown)
Thread - Tan
Tail - 3 ring neck pheasant tail fibers
Ribbing = Oval gold tinsel
Body & Thorax - Hares ear tied rough and picked out
Wing case - Bright blue kingfisher or floss
Hackle - Partridge

Other recipe

Number two: Medium color nymph
Tail - 3 short strands from the long tail feather of the cock pheasant (ringneck)
Body - Hare's ear, tied rough and ribbed with marrow oval gold tinsel. After ribbing, the dubbing is picked out between the ribs with a dubbing needle to suggest the gills of the nymph and to add a softer outline
Thorax - Same dubbing over padding or fuse wire. Before winding on this dubbing, the wing case feather is tied in at the back of the thorax, upside down and pointing to the tail of the fly
Wing Case - Bright blue feather from the wing of an English kingfisher, lacquered when in place. This feather, although exactly what I needed to suggest the sparkle of color or light on the wing case, is apt to come apart after some use. I have tried to find a proper substitute and so far te best is a bit of synthetic silk floss, of nearly the same color, heavily lacquered after tying in. It is permanent but not as bright and sparkling as the feather.

Reference - The Fly and the Fish - John Atherton
I plan on tying those series of flies, with "blue" wing cases, with yellow/blue parrot (blue side showing of course); similar to a fly I posted a while back. Nice ties Norm.

Latest posts