Body - Fluorescent pink, Danville depth ray wool
Ribbing: Medium oval silver tinsel
Wing - Black Russian squirrel, dark fitch tail, or dyed black squirrel

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister

Nymbeet (Stuart Napier)

Hook - Mustad 3906/3906B
Thread - Black.
Tail - Small bunch of black cock hackle equaling the hook length.
Back - A strip of black crow wing or substitute, doubled over lengthways and reaching almost halfway down the sides of the fly, tied in by the tip end.
Body - The original dressing has an underbody of black marabou silk, wrapped with a strip of clear plastic from a particular washing up pot cleaner. Clear Vinyl Rib or Nymph Rib can be substituted. They are three times thicker, so the underbody can be eliminated.
Hackle - Two turns of black cock, the fibers the same length as shank (leave full, not gathered underneath into a 'throat style).

Reference - Fly Anglers Online (FAOL) Archive

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
Llama

Hook - Mustad 3665A
Thread - Black
Tail - Grizzly hackle fibers
Body - Red floss
Ribbing - Medium gold tinsel
Wing - Wwoodchuck guard hairs
Collar - Grizzly
Thanks for posting this one, Norm. The Llama was a particular favorite of the late Tom Quayle of Walkerville- the rougher side of Butte. Tommy was a multi-talented, big-hearted guy who left great memories with everyone he ever met.

Adam Saarinen

This is a old fly that has caught many pike that have slowly torn the Bigfly fibre away with their teeth & the head came off when i got it out of the cupboard last saturday before going out In the tube. sketch-1566655401641.png Went to the flyshop before work this week & they didn't have black bigfly fibre, so i bought these. I've never used them before, but i think they are going to be good! sketch-1566655416300.png sketch-1566655429223.png The renovation going on, i've done a few rebuilds of pike flies before! sketch-1566655443519.png Turned out like this & i'm pretty happy! Gonna take it out next saturday morning. sketch-1566655456581.png sketch-1566657649502.png

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
This is a old fly that has caught many pike that have slowly torn the Bigfly fibre away with their teeth & the head came off when i got it out of the cupboard last saturday before going out In the tube. View attachment 209799 Went to the flyshop before work this week & they didn't have black bigfly fibre, so i bought these. I've never used them before, but i think they are going to be good! View attachment 209800 View attachment 209801 The renovation going on, i've done a few rebuilds of pike flies before! View attachment 209802 Turned out like this & i'm pretty happy! Gonna take it out next saturday morning. View attachment 209803 View attachment 209804
damn nice rebuild! I've gotta say, I absolutely love how those dragon tails look in the water, but I can't stand casting them...definitely not an all day affair (at least for me). I use the smaller ones for smallmouth & jetty flies frequently and they work damn well.

TheAngler

I tied up a few of these in chartreuse and white and fished them this past weekend, so decided to tie up a few more in different color combos. Really liked the way they swim, don’t really tangle and simple to tie; buck tail, flash, barred hackle, small amount of red/orange ep fibers and eyes. Stinger hook with the body tied on a waddington shank which I like because it adds a little weight and it’s easy to tie on.

Trying to find some alternatives to stinger clousers which are not my favorite to cast. Not that I will stop using them, I’m not crazy :).

View attachment 209609
I had to weight the shank to make it drop nose first. Did you have to do the same? The

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I dunno why more folks (including myself) don't use more bucktail in their trout streamers, but when wet it holds a perfect shape, has a nice subtle movement to it, gives the impression of bulk with very little weight...so, here's a trouty streamer incorporating it into the body to give it more bulk.
Dry:

Wet:

Cheers!

Last edited:

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I had to weight the shank to make it drop nose first. Did you have to do the same? The
I weighed the nose with a little wire on about 1/4 of the ones I tied. Others unweighted and you are right, you do not get the nose to drop like a clouser on the unweighted ones. Fine balance for me. I find the weighted ones cast very similar to clousers so I might as well just fish a stinger clouser. However, the unweighted ones cast much better and I still get plenty of hookups. For me, conditions will probably drive what I fish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts