What's in your vise?

holtad

WFF Supporter
I tied up a few of these in chartreuse and white and fished them this past weekend, so decided to tie up a few more in different color combos. Really liked the way they swim, don’t really tangle and simple to tie; buck tail, flash, barred hackle, small amount of red/orange ep fibers and eyes. Stinger hook with the body tied on a waddington shank which I like because it adds a little weight and it’s easy to tie on.

Trying to find some alternatives to stinger clousers which are not my favorite to cast. Not that I will stop using them, I’m not crazy :).

View attachment 209609
I'm with you, I find that I gravitate towards my flat-wings because they cast so much better. But they take me like an hour to tie! This looks like a good compromise.

Plugs

Trying out new ties with the Dave Mcneese Blue Heron Spay Irons I got the other day.

I had a minor heart attack today so I'm staying home and not going fishing this weekend (wife's orders) so I'll be tying up some flies for the next few days. With my sense of humor and the day's events this fly got it's name

Poltergeist .jpg

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I had a minor heart attack today
I'm sorry to hear of your heart issue; here's to no further complications & a speedy recovery. I had a heart attack 21 years ago and made some significant lifestyle changes following that, the most pressing of which was eliminating stress from my life (changed jobs - my management at the time initially denied my transfer request. My ultimatum? "You can either value my well-being & approve my request or I can & will voluntarily retire & go elsewhere. In the first scenario, the company retains what you have deemed "an employee too valuable to lose;" in scenario #2, I leave the company and the "justification" which you cited in disapproving my transfer request becomes "empty words" and no more than a lame excuse. Your call."

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
I was in the process of doing an inventory of flies I tied but had not bagged and tagged them yet when I came across these flies. I tied these flies sometime between late 2019 and the present.
I honestly don't remember which of the many books I have on salmon & steelhead flies they came from or if I found them on a website on the world wide web.
It must have been a senior moment or CRS (can't remember shit) syndrome.

Unknown #1

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Orange
Tail - Dyed yellow hackle fibers
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Peacock herl
Hackle - Brown

Unknown #2

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tag - Flat gold tinsel
Tail - Peacock sword fibers
Ribbing - Flat gold tinsel
Body - Black floss or uni-stretch
Wing - Red fox squirrel tail
Hackle - Grizzly

Unknown #3

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tag - Oval gold tinsel
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Flat gold tinsel
Wing - Gold crystal flash under dyed black squirrel tail

Unknown #4

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tag - Flat gold tinsel
Tail - Peacock sword fibers
Ribbing - Flat gold tinsel
Body - Black floss or uni-stretch
Wing - Red fox squirrel tail
Topping - Peacock sword fibers

Unknown #5

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tag - Oval silver tinsel
Tail - Golden pheasant crest
Butt - Fluorescent green yarn
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel tinsel
Body - Black Yarn
Wing - Dyed black squirrel tail
Throat - Dyed yellow hackle fibers

Unknown #6

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Body - Oval silver tinsel
Wing - Dyed orange squirrel tail
Throat - Dyed green hackle fibers

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Tied on a bit smaller hook, numbers1, 2, 5, & 7 would work in the Reach. #1 bears an uncanny resemblance to a very productive pattern that I tied & used back in the '80s.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts