What's in your vise?

ScottP

Bird’s Irish Wet Fly (variation)

Found this on Steve Bird’s Soft-Hackle Journal. Need to utilize these nicely marked church window feathers more often.

hook – Dai Riki 899 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 brown
tag - medium tinsel opal
tail - golden pheasant tippet
rib - small wire copper
body - dubbing dirty yellow
body hackle - brown
rear collar - pheasant rump dyed brown
front collar - pheasant church window feather

Regards,
Scott

GAT

Dumbfounded
I call this one the Football. Not because it looks like a football in any way or fashion but because I was watching football when I came up with it.

I tried the pattern on Saturday and it worked like a charm at Foster Reservoir. I tried other patterns that I know have worked at Foster for trout in the past but this is the only fly that worked. So, it past the first test. Next is to see if it continues to work and in other frisheries.

The Football:

8l242gin.jpg

The proof:

foster trout with fly web size_edited-1.jpg

I tied the tail extra long... why? Beats me, just wanted a different look.

Gold bead head. The tail is marabou (of course). The body is peacock with a silver wire rib. The hackle collar (long) is a black dyed pheasant tail rump feather.

Last edited:

Speyrod GB

I tried the pattern on Saturday and it worked like a charm at Foster Reservoir. I tried other patterns that I know have worked at Foster for trout in the past but this is the only fly that worked. So, it past the first test. Next is to see if it continues to work and in other frisheries.
That's a great looking bug. If you really want to test the fly, use while you are wearing your new hat. That way you can break the hat in properly.

ScottP

Gartside Sparrow (BAS variation)

Another one from Steve Bird’s Soft-Hackle Journal with a few minor material substitutions.

hook – Dai Riki 899 #6
tail - golden pheasant crest/pheasant tail
rear hackle - Sharp tail grouse body feather
body - dubbing hare’s ear
front collar - partridge
head - aftershaft dyed brown

Regards,
Scott

tackleman

Gartside Sparrow (BAS variation)

Another one from Steve Bird’s Soft-Hackle Journal with a few minor material substitutions.

hook – Dai Riki 899 #6
tail - golden pheasant crest/pheasant tail
rear hackle - Sharp tail grouse body feather
body - dubbing hare’s ear
front collar - partridge
head - aftershaft dyed brown

Regards,
Scott
Jack would never have been that elaborate but I think he might have approved!!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Blue.. that would work quite well for SRC in the Alsea River, Oregon. They love pinkish colored flies.

Bluefisher

Blue.. that would work quite well for SRC in the Alsea River, Oregon. They love pinkish colored flies.
ahh cool! I tied it with the intention of showing it to some pinks in the coming weeks. Love the idea of trying for some SRC as well.

Latest posts