What's in your vise?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Looks like I need more yellow flies in my box, as a matter of fact I don't think I have any...
Lou,
A really underrated color for the sound in my opinion. I’ve caught a lot of cutts and coho on yellow. Hopefully a blackmouth or two next.
May dad used to kill blackmouth trolling yellowish chartreuse hoochie.
I wish more materials were offered in yellow.

It is one of my favorite colors for smallies as well.
SF

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
With all this talk of yellow from @Stonefish and the shrimpy fly posted by @Zak, it got me thinking. I rarely tie in yellow and I don’t fish shrimp patterns often - mainly because I find them tough to fish. Do I dead drift them? Strip? Twitch? Anyway, wanted something I could fish more like a streamer and came up with this. Promising - first one so I need to tinker but I think it could work...

66051EF5-D985-42CB-BC24-F4EFC6E6FCE7.jpeg

Zak

With all this talk of yellow from @Stonefish and the shrimpy fly posted by @Zak, it got me thinking. I rarely tie in yellow and I don’t fish shrimp patterns often - mainly because I find them tough to fish. Do I dead drift them? Strip? Twitch? Anyway, wanted something I could fish more like a streamer and came up with this. Promising - first one so I need to tinker but I think it could work...

View attachment 219456
Ooh, I like that! It's like a cool cartoon creature! As with a baitfish pattern I've been tying, I copied my shrimpy fly (with some changes, incl. swapping snowshoe in for the craft fur) from a fly I bought from Ben at Pacific Flyfishers. He's super helpful! I'm waiting for my floating line to get here and haven't fished the shrimp yet, but Ben advised floating line without much stripping or movement and letting it follow/flow with the current with enough tension to feel the take. I'd love to learn more about how to fish these leetle bugs from folks here who know! ~Zak

Plugs

I got out today & had fun! Need more in this colour! This is a very old Finnish fly for coastal seatrout called Mulkkis, no translation found, but it kind of means Asshole! View attachment 219407 View attachment 219408 View attachment 219409 Tied on Mustad shrimp #2, Super easy tie you Sound boys might like! Original recipe is craft fur, i used marabou. Eyes & chenelle! Too easy to ty a heap!
I tie these in pink, orange and olive for surf perch. Orange with olive tail just kills them

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister

R/O Trinity

Category - Pacific Salmon

Hook – Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tail: Red mallard primary feather section or dyed red hackle fibers
Tip - Flat gold Tinsel
Body - Three balls of red chenille, separated by wraps of flat gold tinsel
Hackle - Dyed red hackle
Wings - White calf tail or polar bear

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
From the vise of Joe Kimsey, Dunsmuir, California. Black Spent Wing

Winged - 1.jpg Hook: Mustad 7957BX size-8 (originally Mustad 3948A )
Thread: Black
Weight: Ten turns .025” lead wire
Tail: Short and sparse grizzly hackle
Body: Shiny black yarn is standard. Joe was experimenting with crystal chenille on this one. All Bombers are tied with exaggerated high back “dolphin humps”
Wings: Grizzly hackle tips, long and wispy
Hackle: Grizzly, short

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister

Father Charles

Category - Saltwater/Sea-Run Cutthroat

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H (Saltwater hook may be used)
Thread - Chartreuse
Body - Gold Bill's body braid
Throat - White Calf or Bucktail
Underwing - Yellow/Chartreuse Calf or Bucktail
Overwing - Fluorescent Red/Red Calf or Bucktail

I used calf tail for the wing and throat

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock