What's in your vise?

ScottP

Muddled Loch Ordie Mayfly (variant)

Took a lot of liberties with this Loch Ordie variant.

hook – WFC Model 6 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 black, Flymaster Plus black (head only)
tag - tinsel gold
tail - bleached pheasant tail
body - hackle dyed coachman brown
1st shoulder hackle - golden pheasant rump red
2nd shoulder hackle - chukar dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)
head - deer hair dyed black

Regards,
Scott

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Another very simple, classicy reverse spider type SRC fly. Four components; hook, thread, hackle, dubbing. I have a few beaches very close to my house that I am very confident hold fish on the right tides this time of year. So for fun, I experiment. Gaudy flies, super simple flies like this one, ugly mistakes (about 67% of my ties), etc. I fish them all just to see what works. Super aggressive SRC help me out by being very willing participants!

AB58CD09-F97C-48C9-AE9F-2E529ED138B5.jpeg

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
From the vise of Steve Herter, Steamboat Springs, Colorado, his Chinese Dissident

Dissedent - 1.jpg
Hook: Very tiny dry fly. Steve particularly likes the Tiemco 103BL these days
Thread: Gray. UTC 70-denier Gray Brown a favorite
Tails: Gray fibbets, long
Wings: Single piece of gray foam V clipped
Hackle: Dun tied parachute (optional)

Herter, “ I invented this fly during the Beijing Uprising and since Foam Wing Dun sounded kinda Oriental, Chinese Dissident ……”

ScottP

Munn’s Claret Muddler

Found this version on Rob Denson’s site. Beefed up the head a bit as I want this to stay on top in some pretty rough water.

hook – WFC Model 6 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 black, Flymaster Plus black (head only)
tail - yarn orange
rib - small wire copper
body - dubbing black claret
body hackle - dyed claret (1 Tbs Rit Wine/1 cup water)
shoulder hackle - mottled hen
head - deer hair dyed claret

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister

Prichard's Western Angler

Category - Summer Steelhead

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tail - Dyed red calftail
Body - Black chenille
Rib - Oval gold tinsel
Throat - Dyed purple hackle fibers
Wing - White polar bear or substitute (i used white bucktail)
Topping - Small bunch of dyed orange calftail, shorter than the wing

This variation of the Skunk (which see), was originated by Wayne Orzel for the Kalama River in Washington

Plugs

Prichard's Western Angler

Category - Summer Steelhead

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tail - Dyed red calftail
Body - Black chenille
Rib - Oval gold tinsel
Throat - Dyed purple hackle fibers
Wing - White polar bear or substitute (i used white bucktail)
Topping - Small bunch of dyed orange calftail, shorter than the wing

This variation of the Skunk (which see), was originated by Wayne Orzel for the Kalama River in Washington
Just for you a lil history on this fly it was named after the fly shop and bait store here on the Kalama. Back in the day it was a going place with fly anglers from all over the world coming to the Kalama for the extremely good salmon and steelhead fishing we once had. With the fish in a never ending decline so was the customer influx thus ending and closure of Prichard's Western Angler store. Everytime I drive by the shop and see it all closed up brings back such great memories and I can't help feeling great sorrow for what it once was. When the shop closed it was owned by the Orzel family around 2010 or 11

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock