What's in your vise?

tackleman

Caddis Nymph

Hook - Nymph/wet style
Thread - UTC Woodduck
Body and Thorax - Tying thread tapered to shape; thorax colored with brown marker
Legs - Guinea hen fibers
Antennae - Very fine peacock herl sword fibers

Substitute floss or uni stretch for the body and thorax

Substitute a stronger more durable material for the antennae

Reference

The American Fly Fisher Magazine - Summer 2013 Volume 39 Number 3

Fly-Fishing: Some New Arts and Mysteries - J C Mottram
Is there anything in the AFFM article to say why it was developed like that - specific caddis, where, nymph, emergent, etc.? That's quite a different pattern for a caddis imitation in my experience. Thanks!

SilverFly

I'm always curious, how do you go about adding all those rubber legs on your flies? Are you tying them in a few at a time, wrapping them like hackle while leaving one end of the bunch attached to the rubber they come on, or putting them in a brush or loop or something?

I've been kicking around the idea of using legs like that on some albacore trolling flies
Not a bad idea Nick. Hadn't thought about rubber legs used as hackle. I wouldn't necessarily limit it to troll flies though. I'm thinking streamer style as well. Might be a bitch to pull off a neatly layered wing using rubber or sili-legs, but decent baitfish profile tied extra long and wiggly with those materials could be deadly.

Last edited:

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
From the (now defunct) River Otter Fly Shop in Florence, Montana. Hecuba emerger
Another take on the Timpanoga hecuba.

Hook: Size 10 standard dry fly
Thread: White
Tail: Coppery antron
Body: Pale olive dubbing
Rib: Coppery floss
Wing: Deer hair tied as Quigley Cripple
Hackle: Cream
Note- as tied these are horrible floaters but do move fish.
Hecuba.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts