What's in your vise?

SinglehandJay

Rabid Raccoon...

downsized a little bit, more of a 6.5" range on this one, although there's still a 5/0 hook in there. I went with a tail of Finn Raccoon but the full bucktail head to help hold that head shape and push a little more water.

Cheers!

edit: had to change pics...
If you're trying to get more bulk under your head's use cactus chenille to build a bump. Them you can use less material in the head giving the appearance of bulk without it and the chenille doesn't hold water so it still casts good. Most of my patterns are designed in this fashion to create the illusion of bulk.

Squamishpoacher

Callibaetis nymph.

I've posted this before but it's the only mayfly I use in the lakes because it out-fishes everything else. I tie it onto a 12 foot 4 or 5x leader and fish it as soon as I notice a few mayflies hatching on the surface. It's unusual to see callibaetis hatching over long periods of time in great number on the lakes I fish therefore I follow the 'strike while the iron is hot' principle and fish the nymph when I see the adults. The adults are the lucky few that have made it to the top and emerged from their shuck. Many of their bretheren didn't get that far. It's nice to see trout taking adults rise to a dry fly but I've had better luck with nymphs. Especially this nymph.

Hook: Maruto c40HW #16 or 14.
Thread: UNI-Tread Camel.
Tail: Three stripped stems from natural brown hackles touched with a brown permanent felt pen.
Body: Peacock Herl dyed Wheat colour.
Rib: Six or seven counter-wrapped turns of Ultra Wire, small, Sculpin Olive, Olive, Amber, Brown or Gold.
Thorax: Pine Squirrel, Natural. Picked out and trimmed to proportion.
Shellback: 1/8 inch strip of any dull black foil. This one came off of a potato chip bag that was accompanied by a cold beer.

The peacock came from an ebay seller. I've yet to see it in a fly shop. 20200329_114650.jpg

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
If you're trying to get more bulk under your head's use cactus chenille to build a bump. Them you can use less material in the head giving the appearance of bulk without it and the chenille doesn't hold water so it still casts good. Most of my patterns are designed in this fashion to create the illusion of bulk.
The bucktail is reverse tied. The absolute best way with big flies to create bulk (with very little material) with bucktail (and many other materials). plus, there actually is some cactus chenille tied in just prior to the standard tied bucktail to help (but that's not why I used it---I used it so that in the water just a little bit of that flash comes through), but realistically, I shoot for the bucktail closest to the base of the tail, this is the fur that is most hollow and will flair the most, creating the most bulk without tying it in reverse. Thanks for the tip though.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts