What's in your vise?

Dave Boyle

A couple more Wally wing hatch matcher, found some teal that turned out nice on the callibeatis. Tried widgeon on a March brown version but found for the wing material to be kind of soft, prefer mallard just need to dye some brown. View attachment 232210
Ok enough of these beautiful ties. Den can you or Scott please provide a SBS, I know there’s YouTube but I like the simplicity and silence of SBS.

Dave

DenWor54

I’m not trying to frustrate I have never done a SBS, when I get back from work tomorrow a will give it a go. Once you see how it’s a very easy fly to tie and they are not just a pretty fly they work great for selective feeders.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
I have been pondering some hybrid patterns using the hot plasticspecific jig-heads from Tackle Warehouse!
I did make a wacky rig Mangum dragontail setup that worked.
Much fun to be had!
Agreed. I just look for anything under 3/32 size or 1/16 and there is all sorts of stuff to play with

Mark Kadoshima

Working from home ties and some personal fun Panfish jigs for when ever we can get out again.
Ghost Bugger, a Delias squid variation (Preferred Ahrex NS156 #10, tied with Daiichi 2546 #6) and some Marabou tungsten jigs(Ahrex FW551 #10)

those are "cheerful". They remind me a little of an indicator...which makes me wonder, has anyone had fish strike the indicator? I was using a yarn indicator and it looked better than one of my own first ties on the Yak and I thought I'd piss me off if a fish went after the indicator instead of my nymph.

Squamishpoacher

Mark Kadoshima said:
has anyone had fish strike the indicator?

Many times! Because of that, I almost always use a dry fly as my indicator. Usually a small, bright or white muddler.
I also found them taking my swivel. I had a tug and then lost the fish. I recast and got several takes and kept missing them. Eventually I remembered cold beer in camp so called it quits. When I pulled my line in I found that that earlier one I had played broke me off at the swivel and the later takes were on the swivel as there was no fly. I check my gear now to avoid this happening again.

This just goes to show that fish have a sense of humour.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Ray Bergman Bucktail

This recipe is from “Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing” by Joseph D Bates Jr

Thread – Black
Body – Flat silver tinsel
Throat – A very small bunch of red hackle fibers, rather short
Wing – A small bunch of white polar bear fur over which is a very small bunch of pale yellow bucktail. The wing is sparsely dressed
Shoulders – Each the tip of a red body feather from a macaw, one third as long as the wing

Updated Recipe

Hook – Streamer style
Thread – Black
Body – Flat silver tinsel
Throat – A very small bunch of red hackle fibers, rather short
Wing – A small bunch of white bucktail over which is a very small bunch of pale yellow bucktail. The wing is sparsely dressed
Shoulders – Each the tip of a dyed red hen feather

Not wanting to use the little amount of polar bear I have, I substituted white bucktail

Having no red macaw feathers I substituted dyed red hen hackle tips

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info