Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

cool stuff coming off your vise. show us here.

2M views 22K replies 543 participants last post by  ScottP 
#1 · (Edited)
o_O

PNWFFF, that's where I'd be heading if I were you.

#8,022 ·
Blueberries...! In some of the lakes I fish, the trout like the color blue...go figure.
Very true about blue; awhile back @pond monkey posted a pic of a small blue headed fly that I stole from him and have used on the Rocky Ford hatchery lip sore trout. The same fly worked in BC the past two weeks but even better was the "cloned chromie" tied with a blue tungsten bead vs the more standard black bead. Was super effective (some days).

#8,025 ·
I have been doing really well with my Googly Stealth Bomber for Bass! I thought it was more of a joke, but this thing floats like a cork, dives, and gurgles. A co-worker introduced me to the pattern that he used in Alabama and I took it from there with some wacky additions ;)

Yeah, I think we are going to need more views of this bad boy....

#8,026 ·
Yeah, I think we are going to need more views of this bad boy....

This is the first incarnation and it is super fishy. My coworker is from Alabama and he says this is the surface fly for predators. I leave that open as I tie them up for SRC too...smaller of course.
I ordered the cutters from River Road Creations.
I tweaked the original design with the Rainys ant foam for eye stalks, glued eyes to the end and made a tapering cover of UV resin.
The gurgle and dive, and generally are super durable. Good fun and a fast alternative to a spun/stacked deerhair diver :)

#8,029 ·
Found some old extra wide and flat braided tinsel and added a larger dose of cow tail to my GBS. Gonna start cranking the handle now...6 units in 4 sizes before my next pattern... Might try a feather wing
View attachment 171269
If you find yourself crowding the eye of the hook when finished...
Keep the same proportions as the fly above, just slide (start) the fly back, about where the barb of the hook is. The end of the silver tag would line up with the barb.

Post comparison pics...

I feel you'll be very pleased. ;):)

#8,032 ·
FlySpoke's Super Bug (Carnage variation)

Scaled down/foamed up version of an Atlantic salmon pattern. Lost all the pics from the SBS so a re-shoot will have to follow.

hook - Dai Riki 135 #8
thread - UTC 140 burnt orange
core - 8lb Mason
rib - x-small wire gold
body/head - 1mm foam orange
body hackle - brown (undersize by 3)
wing - deer hair
thorax - shmootz from the base of an orange/grizzly hackle
hackle - brown
front wing - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

#8,033 ·
Loving these flies scott. I bought needles once and tried to tie dubbed extended bodies on them. I tied 1. It didnt come out that bad....but fell apart. So i quit that.

I may have to make an attachment and make some of these out of foam! Do you strictly use 1mm foam?

#8,036 ·
I bought needles once and tried to tie dubbed extended bodies on them. I tied 1. It didnt come out that bad....but fell apart. So i quit that.

I may have to make an attachment and make some of these out of foam! Do you strictly use 1mm foam?
1mm for small and medium sized flies works well. For larger stuff like salmonflies and bigger hoppers/attractors, I'll use 2mm, although it's a bit more of a challenge to tie with.

Regards,
Scott

#8,037 ·
FlySpoke's Super Bug (Carnage variation)

Scaled down/foamed up version of an Atlantic salmon pattern. Lost all the pics from the SBS so a re-shoot will have to follow.

hook - Dai Riki 135 #8
thread - UTC 140 burnt orange
core - 8lb Mason
rib - x-small wire gold
body/head - 1mm foam orange
body hackle - brown (undersize by 3)
wing - deer hair
thorax - shmootz from the base of an orange/grizzly hackle
hackle - brown
front wing - deer hair

Regards,
Scott
Amazing tie, Scott. Love the "shmootz" bit.