Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

cool stuff coming off your vise. show us here.

2M views 22K replies 544 participants last post by  Mike Bacca 
#1 · (Edited)
o_O

PNWFFF, that's where I'd be heading if I were you.

#16,241 ·

Citrange

Category - Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Up eye salmon style
Thread - Orange or hot orange
Tail - Orange over fluorescent green floss or uni stretch
Body - Rear, micro peacock chenille, Front, fluorescent floss or uni stretch
Throat - Fluorescent green over orange floss or uni stretch
Wing - Chartreuse bucktail over rainbow crystal flash

Tying note: I used MFC Lucent micro chenille in 615-Peacock color but a substitute can be Veevus Iris thread in i15-Peacock color

The fly above was tied using a photo on Frank Guimond's website. I tried the Google translator on the French name "Citrange" and it returned the same translation in English

The citrange is a citrus hybrid of the sweet orange and the trifoliate orange. The purpose of this cross was to attempt to create a cold hardy citrus tree, with delicious fruit like those of the sweet orange. However, citranges are generally bitter.

#16,243 ·
La-Gaston-1080.jpg

La Gaston (Frank Guimond pattern)

Category - Trout streamer

Hook - Streamer style

Thread - Black

Tail - Golden pheasant tippets

Ribbing - Flat gold tinsel

Body - Chinese red uni stretch

Throat - Golden pheasant tippet over gold crystal flash

Wing - Dyed red bucktail over gold crystal flash

The fly above was tied from a photo on Frank Guimond's website. I tried the Google translator on the French name "La Gaston" and it returned the same basic translation in English "The Gaston"

https://frankguimond.com/mes-streamers-2/

#16,248 ·
Squirrelly Hairhog

Winging came from some zonker strip remnants. Waste not...

hook - BVFT Dry #10
thread - Danville 6/0 brown
wing(s) - pine squirrel dyed rust
body - Ice Dub rust
1st shoulder - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
2nd shoulder - pheasant rump dyed brown

Regards,
Scott

#16,254 ·
Reading the coho jig twitching threads has me re-thinking my usual coho patterns to get a faster sink rate (since the quick drop is what seems to trigger the strike).

So this is basically the same comet-style fly I use for coho, but sparser and heavier. Normally I do a crazy-charlie type body with clear vinyl over mirror flash. Here I replaced the vinyl with 30# clear fluoro leader, then put 2 coats of thick UV resin over. Has the same flashy, translucent look, but definitely heavier and should cut through the water better. Also left out the saddle hackle and just used some FTD holographic flash.

Plant Wood Insect Vegetable Hardwood

#16,255 ·
Headed. I think I'll call them "Adirondack Muddlers" because of the snowshoe and Fran Betters' color scheme.
View attachment 258658
I'd like to try one of those Wednesday! And then again on Thursday.

Until recently I'd forgotten how effective muddler type flies can be. I suppose the forgetfulness is due in part that when I first started fishing muddler minnows it was on the Klamath River during school days (or more to the point when school wasn't in session). After moving to Cenrtal WA I basically stopped fishing rivers for trout and ignored the few muddlers I always have along. They work in lakes, amazing! ;-)