Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

cool stuff coming off your vise. show us here.

2M views 22K replies 543 participants last post by  ScottP 
#1 · (Edited)
o_O

PNWFFF, that's where I'd be heading if I were you.

#18,501 ·
Are these swung? What technique is used to fish these?
Most often I swing them, but there is many ways to fish soft hackles from dead drift to even stripping them.

A good one is to cast across mend up river and let it sink so when it starts to swing it will ascend like a hatching insect.

Jon

#18,502 ·
Most often I swing them, but there is many ways to fish soft hackles from dead drift to even stripping them.

A good one is to cast across mend up river and let it sink so when it starts to swing it will ascend like a hatching insect.

Jon
Dead-drift across into a swing is absolutely money. Especially when you think you're seeing surface action but can't buy a fish with a dry.

#18,503 ·
Reverse maribou spey fly. Tied on a shank with a #2 Gamukatsu trailer. Underbody of Pugilese Sparkle Brush. A couple of turns of orange maribou and a couple of turns of red in the front. Winter Steelhead like this fly. The reverse technique ensures the maribou doesn't flatten out. You can tie it on a tube with a cone or a shank with lead eyes.

View attachment 273702
Nice! I've always gone with a ball of dubbing to prop up the back and a not-too-stiff collar to make sure the marabou keeps a full profile. Tempted to try a reverse-bou.

#18,508 ·
Nice! I've always gone with a ball of dubbing to prop up the back and a not-too-stiff collar to make sure the marabou keeps a full profile. Tempted to try a reverse-bou.
You'll like it. The Pugilese Sparkle brush works better than the dubbing ball and the reverse Maribou really bulks the fly out. Try it on a tube with a cone head. You can see the inner glow from the sparkle brush with this black and blue one.

Artificial fly Bait Fishing lure Feather Natural material

#18,509 ·
02C4BB76-B86C-4E74-AB3D-39562F9A45A7.jpeg

Some recent marabou flies on cheapo #2 hooks. I found that the gadwall collar on the orange/red pattern doesn't work all that well, so I ended up retying it with a red saddle collar behind the Gadwall. Stays nice and fluffy in the current and lets me get away with very little marabou on the shank. They sink well on their own and that suits the sink tips that I use (nothing heavier than T-8).

#18,510 ·
View attachment 273774
Some recent marabou flies on cheapo #2 hooks. I found that the gadwall collar on the orange/red pattern doesn't work all that well, so I ended up retying it with a red saddle collar behind the Gadwall. Stays nice and fluffy in the current and lets me get away with very little marabou on the shank. They sink well on their own and that suits the sink tips that I use (nothing heavier than T-8).
Interesting book there! I've always been an aerodynamic nerd myself :)

#18,513 ·
Blue-Bottle-1080.jpg

Blue Bottle

Category - Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tag - Oval silver tinsel
Tail - Peacock sword fibers
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Blue floss and Peacock herl
Hackle - Black
Wing - Black squirrel tail or black bear