Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

cool stuff coming off your vise. show us here.

2M views 22K replies 543 participants last post by  ScottP 
#1 · (Edited)
o_O

PNWFFF, that's where I'd be heading if I were you.

#19,101 ·
I tied this wet fly last Fall to fish for emerging White Miller caddis on the Firehole River, and is was very effective the couple days I fished there. In fact, it worked so well that I'm anxious to try it again this year to see if last year was just a fluke, or if this fly will actually work that well again. (I think it will.)

The hook is a Tiemco 3761 nymph hook, size #16, the body is SLF pearl Prisim dubbing tied in a dubbing loop, with 16//0 Veevus thread in light olive, and a few turns of grey color Hungarian Partridge. Very easy and quick to tie.

This fly is intended to look scruffy, so I don't worry if the head, or the rest of the fly, isn't tied neat and pretty. Not that all of my flies look very neat and pretty anyway.

View attachment 281905

I also tied a similar style wet fly this spring using peacock colored SLF Prism Dubbing for the body and brown Hungarian Partridge to fish for emerging Grannom caddis that also worked quite well.

John
John,

That's a nice fly; I had real good luck there in the fall a few years ago with a similar fly, just swinging it where the fast water dumped into a pool. I added a thorax of olive dubbing but don't think it really mattered all that much.
I think I stood in one spot and caught 10 fish; the guys fishing below me weren't getting anything on dries. I'd love to try it this spring but won't be able to get down there until later in the year.

Regards,
Scott

#19,102 ·
John,

That's a nice fly; I had real good luck there in the fall a few years ago with a similar fly, just swinging it where the fast water dumped into a pool. I added a thorax of olive dubbing but don't think it really mattered all that much.
I think I stood in one spot and caught 10 fish; the guys fishing below me weren't getting anything on dries. I'd love to try it this spring but won't be able to get down there until later in the year.

Regards,
Scott
Scott -
I had similar results to yours, except I also caught a few fish with it in slower moving water where I could actually see the fish move to take the fly. It really came into its own in the faster moving water though.
John

#19,103 ·
Muddled White Miller Caddis

Reunited with the rest of my tying stuff! The hook is a short-shank, same length as a #16 but with a wider gap; may help in hooking. The bugs should be around for Opening Day in Yellowstone in 2 weeks.

hook - BVFT Dry #14
thread - Veevus 8/0 olive
body - Zelon dubbing white miller
wing - Congo Hair white
collar - pronghorn hair white

Regards,
Scott

#19,114 ·
Softhackle Spundun Skwala (Michigan body)

Still searching for the perfect dirty motor oil color; not sure about the aftershaft shoulder but it came off with the rump feather so I thought I'd use it. The hatch has come and gone but I'll play with it anyway at some point.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
egg sac - Congo Hair black
rib - UTC 140 yellow
body - pronghorn hair dyed skwolive (1 Tbs Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water; overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Black/1 cup water)
wing - Congo Hair baitfish grey
collar - pronghorn hair dyed skwolive
first shoulder - pheasant rump dyed black
2nd shoulder - pheasant aftershaft dyed black

Regards,
Scott

#19,115 · (Edited)
Softhackle Spundun Green Drake (Western)

The wing's a bit stubby on this one so I'll call it an emerger and look like I planned it that way.

hook - WFC Model 4 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 light olive
tail/body - deer hair dyed olive
rib - UTC 140 yellow
wing - pronghorn hair dyed black (1 Tbs Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water; overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Black/1 cup water)
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

#19,117 ·
Montana-Nymph-Orange-800.jpg

Montana Nymph - Orange

Hook - Mustad R74-9672, size 8
Weight - .020 non lead wire
Thread - Black
Tail - Moose body hairs
Abdomen - Black chenille
Wing case - 2 strands of black chenille
Legs - Black saddle hackle
Thorax - Orange chenille

#19,120 ·
Hey Kfish, is this your own creation or design? Man, I really like these. I have a ton of marabou and would love to give something like these a go for the fly box. The 2 tone colors and wide eyes/heads on these are top notch. *chef's kiss*.
Thanks! It's just something I whipped up, I'm sure the style has been done before though the football beads are new since they were just introduced by Spawnflyfish.