Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

cool stuff coming off your vise. show us here.

2M views 22K replies 543 participants last post by  ScottP 
#1 · (Edited)
o_O

PNWFFF, that's where I'd be heading if I were you.

#19,282 ·
This past winter @Jim Ficklin shared a picture of some "headstand" (?) carp flies: (https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/104875/page-1252#post-1692498) which utilize "foam beads". Jim cuts his own beads utilizing a 204 caliber cartridge. He graciously sent me two that he'd sharpened to ease cutting the foam.

I found a recipe for a "SWW" (San Juan Worm - I know, the initials don't match but that was our secret call sign at RF creek back in the early days) - more like a San Juan Worm on steroids but interestingly it lands on bottom hook point up and the tail is buoyant enough to float the back of the hook. I incorporated a brass bead into the end (or is it tip?) of the foam beads to sort of sink that portion (not my idea). I'm not sure I can actually use this ugly thing so I decided to tie one a bit more subtle. The bottom fly still has the brass bead at the end of the foam beads, (14 foam beads). I used 30# Tuf Line as the stringer for the foam, the Tuf Line is doubled back through the end bead and all the foam beads; the brass bead acts as a stopper for the foam....

The weather has just been awful to scout and sneak up on carp. Lots of wind (too much wind), not enough bright blue sky but that looks like it will change later this week. Time to dust off the 8 weight.

Wood Table Fishing bait Hardwood Fashion accessory

Not sure what I was thinking stringing up that rainbow mix.

#19,290 ·

Gray Sedge

Hook - Mustad 7957B (or equivalent), size 8-12
Thread - Black
Tail - Red hackle fibers
Body - Gray chenille
Throat - Badger
Wing - Barred mallard fibers or teal

Popular Fly Patterns - Terry Hellekson

#19,292 ·
Those look fantastic! Super buggy!
Thx, been working on them for a bit. I've settled on hair from the mask for a tail, loop dubbed light natural (real) for the body counter-wrapped with gold wire, add then a single thread loose dubbed dark thorax "bump" to prop the hackle, a turn or so of partridge (now bring the tread forward thru the hackle), and add a small loose dub dark cover wrap between the hackle and bead.
Best when swung from 30-60 degrees across and down Pete Hidy style, pulsed with an "induced take" lift at each likely holding spot, then finish fished down stream Cotton style. Strip back if minnows are present, or desired.

#19,293 ·
Thx, been working on them for a bit. I've settled on hair from the mask for a tail, loop dubbed light natural (real) for the body counter-wrapped with gold wire, add then a single thread loose dubbed dark thorax "bump" to prop the hackle, a turn or so of partridge (now bring the tread forward thru the hackle), and add a small loose dub dark cover wrap between the hackle and bead.
Best when swung from 30-60 degrees across and down Pete Hidy style, pulsed with an "induced take" lift at each likely holding spot, then finish fished down stream Cotton style. Strip back if minnows are present, or desired.
I like the stip back in idea. Definately looks like it could be a small sculpin or minnow.

Sometimes fish a small creek with prince nymphs and hares ears how you describe. This pattern would slay the little cutts there.

#19,294 ·
Blue-Charm-White-Wing-1080.jpg

Blue Charm - White Wing

Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - Black
Tip - Oval silver tinsel
Tag - Yellow floss
Tail - Golden pheasant crest
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Black wool
Throat - Blue hackle fibers
Wing- White calf tail

#19,296 ·
Muddled Carnage Brown Drake

hook - WFC Model 11 #12
thread- Veevus 8/0 tan
tail - moose body
core - 20lb mono
body - 1mm foam tan/brown marker
wing - Congo Hair white
shoulder - chukar dyed golden brown (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Cocoa Brown/1 cup water)
collar/head - pronghorn hair dyed golden brown

Regards,
Scott

#19,297 ·

hook - WFC Model 11 #12
thread- Veevus 8/0 tan
tail - moose body
core - 20lb mono
wing - Congo Hair white
shoulder - chukar dyed golden brown (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Cocoa Brown/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott
That looks fantastic! Great tie.

#19,299 ·

hook - WFC Model 11 #12
thread- Veevus 8/0 tan
tail - moose body
core - 20lb mono
wing - Congo Hair white

Regards,
Scott
Refuse the real thing and eat this instead!

#19,300 ·