Any Western Washington Bow Hunters Out There?

Nathan B

Love em and Leave em
Just curios to see if anyone here bow hunts?

I'm going to go for the 1st time this year and I'm stoked. I picked up a Martin Afflictor after doing a lot of research for something that was within my budget and have started to acquire the gear need to hunt bear, elk and deer.

What bow do you use and it's details?

What do you hunt for?

Any success?

Any pointers for a new guy like my-self?

Thanks in advance!

orangeradish

Eyes to the sky...
Shoot a ton long before the season starts. Make sure EVERYTHING is dialed in with your bow. Scout a ton. Get in shape. I say these things not because I am a good hunter, but because they are mistakes I had to learn from. Well, maybe not the shooting part. I shot nearly every day after work leading up to the season. That part is just fun.

Also, pick good hunting partners. Key. Critical. Mega-important. I actually did that one right. I hunt with a few guys who are awesome to hunt with. I also hunt with Ed. He's a total pain in the ass. But the other guys are great.

littlefishJB

Stalking the little fish that think they're big...
X2 on the partner. I hunt with my wife, and would not have it any other way.

We both shoot longbows... carbon arrows are about as high-tech as we get. Took a 300lb sow couple of years ago at 8yds...awesome

Ditto on getting in shape, practice and scouting...plus, I would add learn the regs. Really easy to slip over a GMU line without knowing, or be a day off or...you name it

WA leaves some things to be desired in a lot of respects, but it's also fantastic and beautiful and full of some amazing critters

Have fun, hunt ethically, respect the resources and the land...can't go wrong

Nathan B

Love em and Leave em
Thank you for your reply's and I appreciate the great advise! I've got a good buddy to go with but could use a few more that know different things. Let me know if any of you want to get together and target practice or go stomp around in the woods with a fly rod in one hand and a bow in the other. I live over in Issaquah, but don't mind driving.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
We're planning on elk this year with our 'curves and longbows, but western? Nah, we're probably going to be in the Umtanum GMU. Make sure you don't have any mechanical broadheads around!

Hey Nathan I live near you in Maple Valley and have been an avid bowhunter. My rifle buddies refer to me as a redneck ninja so welcome to the club. I'm a member of Cedar River Bowmen and Cascade Rifle Club so I've got two great places to shoot. PM me your info and I'll take you to one of the ranges if you want. The walk through courses are a lot of fun.

Oh I almost forgot, I shoot a Hoyt Alphamax 32 and I bow hunt for wapiti. The best advise I can give is that being a bowhunter is alot more about the experience for me. It is very challenging and you will have a lot of what others would perceive as frustration and failure. I try not to perceive it that way. The ability and the opportunities to get so close to these beautiful animals and seeing them up close is an experience I can't describe. You will have to experience it for yourself but with the right mind set you'll go far.

rory

Go Outside
The best advise I can give is that being a bowhunter is alot more about the experience for me. It is very challenging and you will have a lot of what others would perceive as frustration and failure. I try not to perceive it that way. The ability and the opportunities to get so close to these beautiful animals and seeing them up close is an experience I can't describe. You will have to experience it for yourself but with the right mind set you'll go far.
So when I get my first bow, think of it like my first Steelhead rod?

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
I got interested in archery elk because the MF season was just a pumpkin fest.
Archery season is nice because you are really sneaking around but the last two years it was temps in the 90s and that's just too hot to hunt.
I belong to Renton Fish and Game which has a rudimentary archery course.
Let me know if you want to go shooting.

Nathan B

Love em and Leave em
Gentlemen, Thank you for all the advise and the offers. I'll take you up on them. I've picked up a few elks calls to practice with, one bugle and a few cow mouth calls.
With a lot of you hunting in different parts of the state I need to figure out which side I choose. Western is nice do to the proximity of where I live but I don't mind driving if it means a better chance at taking an Elk on the Eastside. Thoughts on East or West? Side note.... Rocky Ford tomorrow? :)

Nathan B

Love em and Leave em
I ordered a Badlands 2200 pack yesterday from Eagle Archery. Anyone else have this pack? I need to order a water bladder for it, but I've heard the Badlands bladder leaks and to go with a Camelback bladder. Thoughts?

Practice at twice the distance you plan to shoot. It'll make the other shots feel easier when you get elk fever. Biggest advice, remain calm and only take a good shot. Do not take bad angle shots. I've taken four elk in the last 5 seasons. It clicked when I became calm.

I too use a 2200 badlands. Have had no issues with the bladder. I have had the zippers snap off, but still serviceable.

Currently trying to get good with the 'curve, really want to lose the compound and go trad.

Latest posts