Any Western Washington Bow Hunters Out There?

ribka

Badlands make good products

More power to ya regarding recurve. I shot recurve and long bows over 30 years and took many whitetails, a few bear a moose, wild boar and caribou . most were less than 25 yd shots. Most deer hunting done from tree stands. When moved out here 10 years ago I started hunting elk and mule deer with recurve. I opted to deity back to compound due to greater shot distances and just not have time to devote to practice .

I do still toy with idea as most of my elk hunting now is done from tree stands

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Nathan take a look at the bladders Eberlestock sells. I've got one, and am very impressed with the ease of stuffing ice into the bladder, and how it keeps everything chilled. Easy to draw from without herniating yourself, and even the hose keeps the fluid cool.

Where to hunt is more difficult. I"m beginning to feel that WA fish&game is more interested in taking our money than managing to provide some adequate results for our efforts. Idaho archery looks very, very interesting right now.

Also, take a serious look at KUIU products-especially their backpacks. Badlands makes a quality product, but in my opinion, if you're going in a backpack hunt, the lightest pack on the market will be the one you want IF it allows you to pack a quarter out in addition to your gear. At 3lbs, 9oz for a 6K inch pack, it's the lightest on the market, and made by a bowhunter for bowhunters.

I hunt with a Bear Super Griz recurve and a Toelke Whip logbow, but have also hunted elk and deer with a Rodney Wright custom Firehawk. The Griz last year took a grouse!

I also stand corrected this year on the mechanical broadheads. They're legal this season. In my opinion, this is a huge mistake, and should not be allowed unless the back of the bleeders match last year's requirement of angling back to the shaft. I'm headed to Sportsman's Warehouse today to see if they've changed any designs.

There are so many good products out there. Got my longbow and need to get arrows. I have a Nimrod pack and have had it for 15years and still will last a life time. And by the way there are Elk on the west side. As for broad heads, I am old school. Two blade and big. I don't shoot over 20 yards, so I like a heavy arrow. But most of all, go out and have fun!

Alex MacDonald

The season is upon us, but not for me, and probably not here anymore. pouring over the regs I find that all the areas that hold huntable populations of elk are not open to archery, or are mostly on private land, or this year closed due to the fires. It's raining cats & dogs here right now, but my experience tells me that rain won't make any difference to the idiots in the forest service-especially those mad cows who staff the Cle Elum office. As a double whammy, Her Ladyship signed us up to work the Chelan county fair in the Beekeepers' booth on the 11th, and a bike ride in West Yellowstone on the 19th, for which we leave on the 17th. So my season is done before it began. Nope, probably Idaho for me next year.

Ed Call

The season is upon us, but not for me, and probably not here anymore. pouring over the regs I find that all the areas that hold huntable populations of elk are not open to archery, or are mostly on private land, or this year closed due to the fires. It's raining cats & dogs here right now, but my experience tells me that rain won't make any difference to the idiots in the forest service-especially those mad cows who staff the Cle Elum office. As a double whammy, Her Ladyship signed us up to work the Chelan county fair in the Beekeepers' booth on the 11th, and a bike ride in West Yellowstone on the 19th, for which we leave on the 17th. So my season is done before it began. Nope, probably Idaho for me next year.
Change your tag to the west side and contact your peeps over here.

Alex MacDonald

Change your tag to the west side and contact your peeps over here.
I would love to go with you guys, but looks like I'm committed to this year's changes. Possibly I'll be able to hunt rifle deer here, but for elk, it ain't happening this year! We drove up to Republic today for a scouting trip, and no joy there, either! I miss the aspen and sage where I used to hunt on the East side of Sonora Pass years ago!

Alex MacDonald

Were you scouting for elk in Republic? You're going to be hard pressed to find hunt-able numbers of elk in Republic.
Nope, more looking for sage and aspens and mulies. Elk won't happen for me this year, and it seems this state really doesn't want you to connect with an elk anyway! I'm looking at Idaho next year, with much higher success rates on mature bulls.

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
So how's this warm weather going to effect your hunt?
86 expected high in Cle Elum on Saturday.
More specifically, how are you going to find animals?

Latest posts