SRC & Crabs

Jake

WFF Supporter
the thought of a little cutthroat patrolling the tidal flats, shearing off clam necks as it goes is quite entertaining.
Pretty amazing critters, if you ask me. A few times when snorkeling or scuba diving I've seen them doing what looked like feeding on clam necks. I've also heard from others that they've puked up clam necks once in the net.

Jake

WFF Supporter
Personally, I’d fish beaches between Liliwaup and the bridge, focusing on those rocky ones that have oysters.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The crab hatch is a very real thing for us up here in Vancouver. Andre Stepanian of local fame has created a tonne of larval patterns we fish for spring coho as well.
Jordan,
Do you have any pictures of the larval patterns you can share?
Thanks
SF

Reactions: Zak

Jordan Simpson

Jordan,
Do you have any pictures of the larval patterns you can share?
Thanks
SF
Hey Stonefish, hopefully this link works. If you scroll down below the obvious tropical flies, you'll see a bunch of fairly simple-looking patterns that Andre has developed over the years here.
Our coho here are generally staging and are very tight lipped. We are actually quite jealous of your rezzie fishery. I had a day last year where the coho were in so thick there was more than you could count jumping or boiling at one time. You'd loose count and never get an accurate number. Everyone all around us were tossing small Clousers and baitfish, or super flashy attractor flies. Me and Ben delved into our local 'Andre' knowledge and put on krill patterns. It was lights out for us. I think I stopped counting at around 23 for myself. I'm not sure how many Ben got into. Colour and retrieve didn't matter, just the size and what they were targeting. Takes were insanely light, with your retrieve feeling like it was slowly getting stuck into a sponge. You'd feel a spongy feeling and then just give a quick set. They were literally just swimming around in random patterns mouthing clouds of krill, and I imagine it was a matter of more protein per bite with the least amount of energy expended (staging fish), and that chasing down bait fish was just too much effort for them.

Jordan

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Hey Stonefish, hopefully this link works. If you scroll down below the obvious tropical flies, you'll see a bunch of fairly simple-looking patterns that Andre has developed over the years here.
Our coho here are generally staging and are very tight lipped. We are actually quite jealous of your rezzie fishery. I had a day last year where the coho were in so thick there was more than you could count jumping or boiling at one time. You'd loose count and never get an accurate number. Everyone all around us were tossing small Clousers and baitfish, or super flashy attractor flies. Me and Ben delved into our local 'Andre' knowledge and put on krill patterns. It was lights out for us. I think I stopped counting at around 23 for myself. I'm not sure how many Ben got into. Colour and retrieve didn't matter, just the size and what they were targeting. Takes were insanely light, with your retrieve feeling like it was slowly getting stuck into a sponge. You'd feel a spongy feeling and then just give a quick set. They were literally just swimming around in random patterns mouthing clouds of krill, and I imagine it was a matter of more protein per bite with the least amount of energy expended (staging fish), and that chasing down bait fish was just too much effort for them.

Jordan
Jordan,
Thanks for the reply and link.
Interesting patterns and something else to add to the coho tool box.
SF

Jordan Simpson

Some nice patterns for the tiny critters that cutthroat eat. I'll be adding a few to the box!
Cutthroat will have no problem eating those as well- the orangish and yellow ones (duh) have been very effective patterns for us here. The thicker 'scud' back is the leg from a hoochie lure. A lot of hoochies are UV or glow, and this plays a role in his designs as the krill and itty bittys fluoresce or glow under low-light conditions.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts