Yakima River Above Horn Rapids... and Lower

I'm getting back into flyfishing after ~25ys off. Had to buy new gear as my old stuff appears lost. :) Have decided to focus on smallmouth since that appears to be good here (I live in Kennewick) and I enjoyed warm water fishing most when I was last doing this.

I bank fished the Yak at Horn Rapids park last Fri, but was completely skunked. :( But did get to try out new gear. My casting is really weak. Wading was difficult because of treatureous mud. Water was still kinda high and fast. Will try again soon and look for bank fishing spots in even lower reaches of Yak or Columbia.

jwg

I'm getting back into flyfishing after ~25ys off. Had to buy new gear as my old stuff appears lost. :) Have decided to focus on smallmouth since that appears to be good here (I live in Kennewick) and I enjoyed warm water fishing most when I was last doing this.

I bank fished the Yak at Horn Rapids park last Fri, but was completely skunked. :( But did get to try out new gear. My casting is really weak. Wading was difficult because of treatureous mud. Water was still kinda high and fast. Will try again soon and look for bank fishing spots in even lower reaches of Yak or Columbia.
not an easy place to bank fish.
Lots of risers there in summertime, unfortunately they are northern pike minnow, which love soft hackles but will take a dry.

if you wanna float that section, hit me up, I'm in benton city. like trip said though, still a touch early. after next weeks temps, water should be warming a bit

I tried a couple bank spots on the Columbia, but had no luck. Other Bass anglers seemed to reflect the same. One said that the lower Yakima was the only spot that had showed any fish taken.

I just took a vacation to scout the John Day River in OR, and look at fossils with my daughter and her friend the geology students. I caught nothing there, despite trying to go "low and slow". But picked some good spots between Kimberly and Service Cr for later, and it was a relaxing "getway" in a remote location. It was cold, and no one seemed to be fishing or catching. I plan on trying the Yakima again soon.

I think I will see what kind of bank spots I can try on the lower Yakima.

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I haven't fished it, but saw pix of some decent Smallmouth a friend caught at the mouth. If anyone opts to hike out to the point of Bateman Island, you had better like ticks, cuz that place is lousy with them.

I drove to Yakima yesterday; the lower Yak is lower than I've ever seen it below Prosser.

I tried the lower Yak today briefly and got a "nibble". Felt like a small Bass. Some guys there said they got four small bass on spin gear today, and got some 14-inchers over the last four days.

I also saw some breaching carp.

How's the water clarity/temp out there? I keep meaning to stop by and see what it looks like, it's just about time to drag my pontoon out of the garage and start doing some floats methinks.

The lower Yak is heating up. I've seen some huge strings of smallmouth (~30lbs) being taken out today and over the last few days. Caught on curly tailed grubs. I think I will try the fly soon.

Holy!... It's going to be 81°F tomorrow! I'm taking the day off!

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Personally, I don't kill Smallmouth but I suspect that ~30# strings grossly exceeds the 10 fish with 1 over 14" limit . . . folks keep doing that & no one will be catching Smallmouth. Unfortunately, in this area there are some folks who tend to keep everything they catch which does nothing for the continued well-being of any resource.

jwg

Water is at summer levels, which is to say surprisingly low for spring,
so water should be clear, and warming up fast.
jay

Latest posts