Fly fishing for walleyes

I will be fishing in a lake in northern Canada this summer. My primary targets are lake trout, pike, and grayling. However, the lake also has some walleyes. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on fly fishing for walleyes?

alpinetrout

Banned or Parked
I can count the number of walleye I've caught fly fishing on one hand, but they were all intentional, not by-catch. What worked for me was a pretty slow retrieve on the upwind side of rocky points. They fight like a wet rag, but they're tasty.

I catch quite a few in lake Roosevelt and banks lake, usually as bycatch bass fishing. Enlightened caught an eight pounder on a floating line from Banks two days after I landed a six pounder. I don't target them, because, like alpine said, they don't fight. At all. You usually think you have a clump of weeds on, but the weeds would fight more.

I'm always been baffled on the few occasions I've talked to people who walleye fish in the Columbia. As mentioned (twice now) those things don't fight at all. They are very tasty but no way in hell am I eating resident fish out of the Columbia.

While being reeled in, walleye must be thinking "Thank god, this is way easier than swimming!"

I will be fishing in a lake in northern Canada this summer. My primary targets are lake trout, pike, and grayling. However, the lake also has some walleyes. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on fly fishing for walleyes?
I agree walleye are not much as fighters. My interest is primarily in lunch. In the far north of Canada there is a tradition of the shore lunch. You, or actually the guide, bring all the fixings and you catch the fish that is the mail course. I do not want to spend much time catching lunch so I am looking for the best way get a quick walleye. Everything else is catch and release. In these lakes the fish populations are high and angler pressure is very light so keeping a lunch fish will not harm the population. Very few things that swim taste better than a walleye that was swimming in the lake 15 minutes before it is cooked

Northern

It's all good.
For me, the fun of walleye fishing (besides the shore lunch) isn't the usual "OK, you got me" fight, it's the finesse of actually hooking them. In Canadian waters, at least, they do a tap...tap...grab thing, and you have to let them take or you'll miss them. I do a walleye trip most years up in Ontario, and sometimes they're in shallow near weed beds. If that's the case when you're there, they'll take poppers like a northern will (which is pretty fun!) Otherwise, white streamers, deep...in which case you might just want to borrow a spinning rod and jig for them.
One year though - mysteriously - the walleye fought like crazy. Kept thinking we had small northerns on. Come to think of it, there were a lot of northerns around that year. Could be the hooked walleye were being chased.
20 inch Walleye on a fly.jpg

Latest posts