Twas the night before fishing...so what lake to fish??

skyrise

Ira, good for you. glad my guess on storm was way off. wish i had traveled a little farther afield, cause Martha lake was unreal. oh well i had not fished lake Stickney for over 30+ years.

Topstoy

In search of Trout
Irafly, I am glad that I'm not the only one to realize this. I think folks saying "Doin Ana Gud" is just a way of being friendly out there. I guess they could say "Howdy stranger" Maybe I'll try that next time I greet folks on the water...... Life is too short, we should enjoy the moment.

Donato

Irafly, I am glad that I'm not the only one to realize this. I think folks saying "Doin Ana Gud" is just a way of being friendly out there. I guess they could say "Howdy stranger" Maybe I'll try that next time I greet folks on the water...... Life is too short, we should enjoy the moment.

mat1226

Back to where we all fished on opening day. I usually (last four years or so) go to Pass and leave them alone on the stocker lakes. This year I really did it different. I went to Squalicum where I had been going and being real frustrated. That lake was kicking me early in April. Not doing a thing.

On Saturday, 10:00 AM I was the only person on the lake, only car out at the highway. I decided to put on a Pheasant Tail nymph and voila, mystery and frustration was over. Second cast and it was arguably the best fish I have ever caught in Western WA. A real mean rainbow pushing twenty inches. Had to be a hold over triploid as they haven't planted any yet this year.

I didn't actually get him to the net which was unfortunate but after four or five really great jumps and several runs I was messing around with him too much next to the toon and he released himself. It was one of those fish where y0u are just basically hanging on and talking to yourself, going woa, woa, woa. I was actually doing this and then looking around to see if any one heard me talking to myself as I felt kind of silly. Nope, no one heard me as there was no one there, duh.

So, I enjoyed myself. Caught ten or so of those cuts that are in there, nothing over 12" but it was a great day and I have a new memory that I will never forget. Ranks up there with some of my better memories over the years.

Topstoy

In search of Trout
Mat1226
Sounds like a great day on Squalicum. I've fished it a couple times and didn't get many. It is nice and tranquil back in there.

Latest posts