Stone's Cascade Hollow Built - Finally finished it

Ron,

That's really, really nice work, congratulations!

I actually have the same rod (Cascade 7-1/2' hollow-built), albeit completely done by Dennis. Interesting to see that the blanks now seem to be darker, perhaps more flamed, than the completely finished rod that he sold me 4 years ago.

All the best,
Kenneth

EDIT: I've added 2 photos of the rod

Last edited:

para_adams

What did you use for guide spacing? I have what Dennis recommended and it has 6 guides on the tip section, seems like a lot. He also gave the measurements from the but section up, not the tip down which I different than I am used to.
I followed Dennis' recommendation as measured from the base of each section:
Butt 23-1/2" #9 stripper
Mid 4" #2, 13" #2, 21-1/2" #1, at ferrule #1
Tips 5" #1, 11-1/2" #1, 17-1/2" #1, 22-3/4" #1/0, 27" #1/0

I like the smaller, traditional looking guides, so I dropped the Mid 13" down to a #1 and dropped the Tip 11-1/2" down to 1/0. Hopefully the effects on the shooting ability will be negligible. I'll probably never know. :)

Ron

para_adams

Ron,

That's really, really nice work, congratulations!

I actually have the same rod (Cascade 7-1/2' hollow-built), albeit completely done by Dennis. Interesting to see that the blanks now seem to be darker, perhaps more flamed, than the completely finished rod that he sold me 4 years ago.

All the best,
Kenneth

EDIT: I've added 2 photos of the rod

Your rod is beautiful too. I was emulating but not copying the Payne look (black trim wraps instead of yellow) so I asked Dennis to treat the blanks with ammonia to darken them. I love that look with the blued hardware. Ammonia and bluing were added charges but Dennis' fees seem very reasonable. I actually ordered the reel seat from Russ at GoldenWitchTechnologies and asked him to find a "non-yellow" color spanish cedar insert. It's cool that our reel seats turned out identical. The reel seat made the final decision on my thread. I was considering a lighter brown or tan without any redness to it but the gold corticelli hit a color after varnishing that seemed to fit with the seat best. Ron

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
I hope you have taken advantage of the warm sunny weather and put the rod outside every day to accelerate the curing process. You must be chomping at the bit to take it out for a spin around your favorite water.

TC

hbmcc

I hope you have taken advantage of the warm sunny weather and put the rod outside every day to accelerate the curing process. You must be chomping at the bit to take it out for a spin around your favorite water.

TC
First, tell me where you live, Ron, so I can keep an eye on it.... For security purposes.:rolleyes:

Latest posts