Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Your Seattle Mariners.

NFR 
2K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  bennysbuddy 
#1 ·
How come nobody is talking about the Seattle Mariners. Usually they are a good topic to talk about. They are supposed to be good in hitting this year along with the pitching. I wounder when the pitching is going to show up along with the hitting.

I understand that they are last in all categories in the stats. For a team that is supposed to be good this year they really suck. Houston really has their number. In 7 games they have beat your Mariners 6 times. The Mariners only bright spots are Cruz in Hitting and Felix in Pitching. But only 2 out of 26 players can't carry a team to the end.

#4 ·
They came within an extra inning game of getting back to .500 t the end of april. But this Astros series has been painful. I think it said in the times today that they allowed 12 home runs in that series after allowing 14 in all of april (numbers may not be exact because I'm too lazy to go find the paper).

Lot of talent on this team. But they just aren't all pulling in the same direction at the same time it seems.

#6 ·
This has been a typical Mariners spring so far. I told myself if they can win 10 games in April, they are just fine. And they won 10! Iwakuma needs to come back, but Happ and Walker look promising. Rodney isn't as horrible as he was a few weeks ago. Once these guys hit their stride, the M's will be a force to be reckoned with.

#13 ·
The bats just aren't clicking yet... it will come. They have a good lineup. Only one guy on the team right now is hitting well. The problem is that I moved down to CA after the 2001 season (I also was at that final game when they were trying to break the Cubs' regular season wins record) and I haven't moved back up yet. I'm their good luck charm. The house has been on the market for two months now and as soon as it sells we are heading back up. Hoping to be up there sometime in June, and then the Mariners bats will come alive. ;):cool:

#17 ·
How about those Yankees?

How is our former yank doing?

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems to me a team leader making $16,460 per inning should be able to remember how many men are on base?

For a supposedly hungry team that missed the playoffs by one game last year, this didn't instill a lot of confidence that they really give a sh*t.

I hope they turn it around. They wasted Ichiro. I'd really like to see Felix get a chance in the playoffs.

#19 ·
Well they are at it again. 5 losses in a row, and Rodney blew another one last night. How long is Seattle going to put up with their manager. He sucks about as bad as their closer. I can watch them because that's about all the sports I can stand from Seattle anymore. But my watching them has waned to nothing. I guess I can go back to fooling trout or reading a good book when it rains like it is now.

About all this rain is good for is keeping my grass nice and green.

#20 ·
It's official: we suck. But hey - the trade today is sure to put us in contention for the AL West crown, right?

#21 ·
It's hard to take the M's seriously. Their TV broadcast are minor league at best with all the fan's inane tweets on the screen, Angie the Cow still isn't getting paid enough to have her hair done and Simm's on the air orgasms when the team actually does something right has had him on mute here for several years. They put out big bucks for Cano and if you watch his body language it's obvious that he is bored senseless and is just going through the motions. After almost a third of the season his statistics are those of a banjo hitting utility infielder that makes about $600K a year.

Picking a general manager for them is like Russian Roulette but instead of the customary one bullet in the chamber the M's always seem to have five with the predictable results. Ownership is a shipwreck. People still pay to see the sub-mariners perform but to be a fan and see the glass as half full when only a melted ice cube remains is just folly. Some bad teams go from worst to first but the Mariners are in what-their second decade of "rebuilding" now?

It is going to take a big wide broom to sweep out the mess that organization has become. There are plenty of class organizations in the big leagues they could pattern themselves after, why they seem so bush league is just baffling.

and don't get me started on the All-Star team they have traded away over the years and pretty much got the Tacoma to Seattle to Tacoma taxi team in return. It's time for these under achievers to turn pro.

#24 ·
They might be "your Seattle Mariners," but doesn't feel like they are mine. Lost interest in baseball years ago after i stopped playing (little league....). I feel a bit guilty that i don't enjoy it more. My stepdad played college and professional baseball (for UC Berkeley and Pittsburgh Pirates respectively) in his day and he is still a huge fan, so I should probably keep abreast to be able to converse with him about it - just can't summon up much interest.

I root for Mariners in abstract just because they are the home team, but i don't watch them on TV or go to the games. I use up most of my sports-fan energy on the Hawks. They definitely qualify for the "my" pronoun - "My Seattle Seahawks"

#36 ·
Ownership isn't the problem. Ownership did change pretty dramatically a few years ago. The old man who bought the team died and left it to his kid, who put it in the hands of corporate Nintendo managers. They're spending money. Paid Felix and Seager to stay. Went out and got Cano and Cruz. Austin Jackson seems to be coming around. Seth Smith seems to be settling in. They're doing the right things. But...........

The friggin Mariners are snakebit. Why do good hitters come here and stink?

The problem, right now, today, is Robinson Cano. If he hits .300 and drives in 3 or 4 or 5 runs a week - like we're paying him to do - everything else falls into place. Instead, he strikes out 2 or 3 times a game and strands armies of runners. And that's on a good day. On bad days he hits into rally-killing double plays and gets picked off the bases.

I keep hearing people say, 'Cano will be fine. Cano will hit.' I say, NOW would be a good time. Two weeks ago would have been better.

You can hide Ackley at the bottom of the order. You can hide Zunino. But you can't hide Cano. He'll be right there in the middle of things every night and he needs to pull his weight, earn his paycheck. No matter what else happens, if Cano doesn't contribute - every night - this will be another lost season.

#29 ·
It's like a stuck record. About this time every season for the past I can't remember how long, the hopeful hype from pre-season wanes and out comes the boo birds. Why they cannot break through continues to be as big a mystery and why PS steelhead returns don't increase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.