Fly fishing books?

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
I've searched some threads, but thought I would get some fresh feedback on good fly fishing books/novels.

I just finished "The River Why" and really enjoyed it. I was considering "The Habit of Rivers" next. Is it a great read? What are a couple favorites that you would recommend? (focusing mainly on stories/novels rather than instructional material)

Thanks!

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
Cannot go wrong with books by Roderick Haig-Brown such as A River Never Sleeps…. a bit old school in some ways but the passion for fish and fishing is undeniable…. I also personally love all of Gierachs books…. I think I own them all… good luck.
Great, thank you!

weiliwen

Of course, A River Runs Through It must be considered. I fell in love with fly fishing by reading all of the Roderick Haig-Brown books. I liked The Snowfly as well.

David James Duncan is one of my favorite writers out there, as meager as his output is. He wrote The River Why. I like this one the most because it's mostly about my neck of the woods, the northern Oregon coast, and the streams that flow there. His other, non-fly fishing related books are, perhaps, even better.

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
Of course, A River Runs Through It must be considered. I fell in love with fly fishing by reading all of the Roderick Haig-Brown books. I liked The Snowfly as well.

David James Duncan is one of my favorite writers out there, as meager as his output is. He wrote The River Why. I like this one the most because it's mostly about my neck of the woods, the northern Oregon coast, and the streams that flow there. His other, non-fly fishing related books are, perhaps, even better.
"A River Runs Through It" was good! I really enjoyed it, as well as "The River Why". Both great books. I will have to check out the others as well. Thanks!

GAT

Dumbfounded
I'm a sucker for all the older Patrick McManus books. If you like to laugh, you'll like his books.

The Habit of Rivers received rave reviews. It's a little dry for me compared to The River Why.

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
I'm a sucker for all the older Patrick McManus books. If you like to laugh, you'll like his books.

The Habit of Rivers received rave reviews. It's a little dry for me compared to The River Why.
Yeah, I am reading The Habit of Rivers right now and I agree. Enjoyable though, and it get's some chuckles out of me.

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
Cannot go wrong with books by Roderick Haig-Brown such as A River Never Sleeps…. a bit old school in some ways but the passion for fish and fishing is undeniable…. I also personally love all of Gierachs books…. I think I own them all… good luck.
I am almost finished with "A River Never Sleeps" It's a good book, very down to earth. It's a little before my time, but I think that made it worth while for. It reminded me of stories that my great-uncle use to tell me of his fishing adventures.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
VanAllen; I've read truck loads of books so far in my life. Over the past 20 years or so probably 90+% fishing related. In my opinion Bob Arnolds Steelhead Water is top shelf. I cannot imagine anyone not liking this book. If your interested but can't find one message me ..I'll loan you my copy.

Preston

Am I entirely alone in thinking that The River Why is probably the worst fishing book ever written? Not only a bad read, but it inspired an even worse movie. I enjoyed David James Duncan's early work, particularly River Teeth, but have never been able to understand the apparent popularity of The River Why.

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
Am I entirely alone in thinking that The River Why is probably the worst fishing book ever written? Not only a bad read, but it inspired an even worse movie. I enjoyed David James Duncan's early work, particularly River Teeth, but have never been able to understand the apparent popularity of The River Why.
Not sure if you are alone or not, likely so. I thoroughly enjoyed the book "The River Why". I didn't give the movie a chance after watching the trailer, obviously poorly done. Like the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson's tragic attempt at the motion picture, the only comparison that I can make without doing the book an injustice is to say that one belongs on a well dusted shelf amongst treasured finds of petrified wood, antique fly reels, and pocket knives, while the movies belong in a $0.25 bin at the local Good Will.

Latest posts