Fly fishing books?

Josh

dead in the water
Gierach's stuff is enjoyable for just about anyone. His "tone" and experiences are neither too high or low end, spacey ethereal or dryly down to earth. You may not love his writing (though many do) but it's hard to imagine many fly fishers hating it.

There is a book called "Astream" that is a collection of flyfishing related short stories. I really enjoyed it. I loved "A Good Life Wasted". I also enjoyed "The Flyfisherman's Guide to the Meaning of Life"

I have found a couple For my Nook from Barns and Noble.
The Nail Knot; A fly fishing mystery
The clinch knot. by John Galligan
They were free on my Nook, Part of the reason why I got them. Now to read them.

I also picked up The Young angler's guide comprising instructions in the arts of fly fishing, bottom fishing and trolling.
A history of fly fishing for trout by John Waller Hills
Dry fly trout fishing by William W. Michael
All 3 of these are very old. they were copied and printed thru barns and noble. Again they were freebies.

SilverFly

I've searched some threads, but thought I would get some fresh feedback on good fly fishing books/novels.

I just finished "The River Why" and really enjoyed it. I was considering "The Habit of Rivers" next. Is it a great read? What are a couple favorites that you would recommend? (focusing mainly on stories/novels rather than instructional material)

Thanks!
The novel "River in the Sun" by Scott Richmond is an interesting read. Fly fishing is a connecting thread throughout the book, but not the central theme. In spite of being set on, and around the Deschutes River, it ties in well-researched international politics with a plausible domestic terrorism threat that's specific to the region.

The illustrations aren't too shabby either, being done by a NW artist known to hang out on certain fly fishing forums.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Fly Fishing literature (stories about the fish, those who fish, plus the environment of fly fishing is rich and long standing). Let me add Steve Raymond's "The Year of the Angler" and "The Year of the Trout" as among my favorites.
Let me echo Duane's recommendation. I just reread both during a week on the St. Joe (they are available as combined book: http://www.amazon.com/Year-Angler-T...HIO_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435511742&sr=1-6) and was hooked again by Raymond's descriptions. Also, the diversity of fishing opportunities that he describes mirrors my fishing world. I also recommend Steelhead Fishing On the Olympic Peninsula: the Color of Winter by Doug Rose.
Steve

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
It's not a novel but I feel like The Curtis Creek Manifesto should be required reading for any fly angler.
My father-in-law picked this up at a garage sale. I had time to flip through it, absolutely amazing. Very informative and a lot of fun. I'm going to have to get a copy :)

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
I also really enjoy Steve Raymond's books. One of his best (among others already mentioned) is "Blue Upright".

An absolute Northwest classic is Ralph Wahl's "One Man's Steelhead Shangri-La" (with a forward by Steve Raymond).
It shows the reader how Steelheading once was during simpler times.
This book will take you to another place and time - in a wistful sort of way.

Haig Brown for sure. The perspective he brings to the fish and the fishing was and still is remarkable.
The Gilly Alfred C Davy, classic BC flyfisher's bible.
Challenge of the Trout by Gary Lafontaine. Self absorbed but a thorough treatise.
James Fennelly, Steelhead Paradise. Escape to the past.

Garage sales etc can be good.

Latest posts