Trip Report: 11 days in Neah Bay. Not entirely FF. Pic heavy.

Steelhead

BECU Member
WFF Supporter
This report crashed my phone. Great report and love the seal lion pictures. Gotta love Neah.

ChaseBallard

bushwhacker
Great report. Amazing how effective those flies can be for rockfish. That fluttering action keeps em right in the strike zone and the fish have no hesitation gobbling them up every single cast.

It was nasty out there that first Saturday morning. We managed our two halis that day in the evening when things calmed down. Neat you guys got into the pacific cod as well. Seemed like a lot around this year for the inside of Tatoosh.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Ya my brother and buddy doubted me from the start when I told them there was a good chance theyd want to pick up fly fishing after they saw how effective it is, but the flies flat out out produced everything. Period. I think you're right, the ability to keep the fly right in the strike zone the whole time really makes the difference.

That Saturday was easily the worst of the water conditions. Great job toughing it out out there! My whole crew wasn't completely as hard core as me, so talking into going back out when things calmed was a losing effort. We really did catch a lot of true cod this year. It was cool, but it got kinda annoying when targetting halibut in deep water and having to reel those things in fairly often

Great report. Amazing how effective those flies can be for rockfish. That fluttering action keeps em right in the strike zone and the fish have no hesitation gobbling them up every single cast.

It was nasty out there that first Saturday morning. We managed our two halis that day in the evening when things calmed down. Neat you guys got into the pacific cod as well. Seemed like a lot around this year for the inside of Tatoosh.

emmccauley

Awesome report Nick as usual. Thanks again for your willingness to let me tag along, I had a frickin blast. That was truly some epic fishing and I can't wait to get back up there with you guys.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
But did anyone land one under an indicator? Man I wish I could have joined you for a day or two, but you know me, I would have hated just catching Rock Fish hand over fish, that sounds sooooooo lame!

Great report bud!

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
But did anyone land one under an indicator? Man I wish I could have joined you for a day or two, but you know me, I would have hated just catching Rock Fish hand over fish, that sounds sooooooo lame!

Great report bud!

Ya I know how you are, you would have been so miserable to be around if you were forced to catch all those darn rockfish!

No indicator action was had this trip. I didn't have a floater with me. I need to get a 6 or 7 wt with a floater to keep rigged and ready for poppers and indi times.

That spot we were in would have been perfect for it too... Only 10-12 feet deep and the fish were hanging out in the top 5 or 6 feet. Your patented balanced clouser would have slayed.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
Ya I know how you are, you would have been so miserable to be around if you were forced to catch all those darn rockfish!

No indicator action was had this trip. I didn't have a floater with me. I need to get a 6 or 7 wt with a floater to keep rigged and ready for poppers and indi times.

That spot we were in would have been perfect for it too... Only 10-12 feet deep and the fish were hanging out in the top 5 or 6 feet. Your patented balanced clouser would have slayed.

3 mentions of indicators and only one mention of poppers.... my heart aches ;)

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Hey Nick whats your paypal? I gotta send you an invoice I went over my cell phone data limit reading this post too many times thanks bud

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info