Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

backpacking with freeze-dried meats

793 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TD 
#1 ·
I was unaware of this, but Mountain House has #10 cans of ground beef, diced ham and so forth. I haven't tried this yet, but when I do, I'll go for the ground beef and diced ham. We also just discovered OvaEasy powdered eggs. There are those of us who recall the powdered eggs the military used when we were overseas. This was pushing 50 years ago, and I assume things changed within that time, but they tasted like sand. OvaEasy is decent; not a lot of difference between that and fresh eggs! Anyway, with a food dehydrator, a little creativity and thought, using the beef and ham, I think it's easily possible to go for tacos in place of a f/d meal. I'd use the eggs, dehydrate some diced onions, red & green bell pepper, and the ham for Eggs Hercules.

#3 ·
Freeze dried foods are much improved, but I think freeze dried eggs are still in the pit. Tried Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry and threw it all out. As an alternative to freeze dried food, one thing I've done for Day 1 of a backpacking trip is to cut up some top sirloin steak and chop an onion, season and saute. I freeze that into a solid ball, take it along to the trailhead in an ice chest, then slip it into my pack when the hike begins. It thaws out as I hike, then I add some rice in camp and call it stir-fried rice.

I haven't taken it on a hike yet, but I'm thinking of taking those dried steak strips sold at Costco to make some lightweight camping dinner fare.

#4 ·
SG, these OvaEasy eggs are MUCH better than the Mountain House garbage. I completely agree on throwing it in the trash-which is where that "breakfast scramble" went. I've seen the steak strips, and wonder what they'd mix with. Haven't tried those yet.

If I could find a smaller, ultralight wok, I'd switch to Asian food on a backpack. In Thailand on R&R I used to get those really thin sweetened rice crepes they made, with slices of banana and pineapple in them. That and a cup of coffee...Wow!

#5 ·
My chocolate lab just sniffed the Mountain House scrambled eggs that I laid on a rock for him and laid his down and looked at me as if to say, "are you nuts? I'm not touching that either." My boys still laugh about it to this day. We woke to snow on an August morning and the dog refused to eat the eggs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.