SBS Irresistible Delaware Adams SBS

ScottP

Sometimes a good, long walk helps re-set the breakers; after a few mis-steps this one came together pretty quickly when I got back.

hook - TMC 5212 #10
thread - UTC 140 olive
tail - moose body (variegated)
rib - x-small wire gold
abdomen - deer hair olive
body hackle - grizzly (undersize by 2)
wing - hen hackle tips
hackle - grizzly

mash barb, start thread; clean, stack, measure (shank length) a clump of moose body hair

tie in/trim butts; tie in rib

clean, trim a clump of deer hair; tie in with 2 soft loops, spin, pack

lather, rinse, repeat

and again; half hitch x 2, SHHAN

invert, lay razor blade on hook eye for cutting reference and push the blade straight back

rough cut body

rounding into shape

re-start thread, tie in hackle at front of body

spiral through the body to the tail

capture tip with rib, continue forward; helicopter end, trim tip

take a pair of hen hackle tips (= to gap width), put them together with the tips curving away from each other, measure for length (entire hook); tie in at 80% mark

trim butts, smooth with thread; pull wings up/back, wrap in front and between to set the proper angle

tie in hackle

wrap hackle, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

Regards,
Scott

Hal Eckert

Nice, light and dark irrestibles two of my favorite flys!!! From my boyhood days fishing the Catskills rivers, miss them
;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That thing should fill my fly box back here (Maine) in 10's and 12's for Brookies and 6's and 8's for Smallies. It should also be the perfect top to a "hopper/dropper" rig.
One question:where do you find variegated moose hair (around here all the moose hair is basic black)?

Last edited:

GAT

Dumbfounded
I can see how those would float quite well. I may buy those but I sure as the devil would never tie one! There becomes a point that when tying a trout fly requires a lot of steps and specific techniques that I'm not all that great at performing, it goes against my "less is more" approach for trout flies so I don't tie those patterns.

moose mane is "variegated"
Recipe calls for moose body. In any event moose mane is long stuff useful for tying sub quill bodies and mosquito patterns and such. You wouldn't/couldn't very well stack it for tailing. There are parts of the moose that might be "variegated", like the section that transitions from side to belly, but I don't think I've ever seen it offered for sale

ScottP

I found that patch of moose body hair at Duranglers, in Durango, CO a few years ago, and grabbed it as soon as I saw it. I'd never seen variegated, only very dark brown/black, and thought it'd make for some neat tailing material; I've been very happy with the results.

Regards,
Scott

Latest posts